where to salvage super duty angle drive

/ where to salvage super duty angle drive #1  

Renze

Elite Member
Tractor
Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718
I have several projects going on in my head, and i need a heavy duty angle gear. A truck rear end would be strong enough, but i am afraid that most truck rear ends have too much speed reduction to run a mulcher at sufficient cutting speed.
Is there any other cheap and commonly available source of angle gears, with little or no ( 1:1 ) reduction ratio ?

/ where to salvage super duty angle drive #3  
How about using an old rotary mower gear box?

/ where to salvage super duty angle drive #4  
Good call Jerry G!!!
Sometimes 1:1 gearboxes are stronger than you would think. Take for instance the gearbox that runs my Poorboys trencher and stump grinder. The gearbox seems a little small to do what I subject it to, but it has handled it for years without a problem.

Could you use a "T" gearbox? One imput/2outputs at 90 degrees? I would have to drag one out to confirm that both outputs spin in the same direction, but that is what I remember them doing.
David from jax

/ where to salvage super duty angle drive
Problem is that rotary mowers with strong gearboxes, like a bush hog, are next to non-existant in the Netherlands.... So that's where my idea comes from, to build a mulcher.
Looking at those websites, i recognise a certain gearbox as we used them in the Veenhuis super silage wagons we built at a company i worked for. We built them casco, no paint, rubber or anything just the raw steel structure, and Veenhuis would do the paint job and final assembly.
I think there are a dozen of self loading haywagon or two, to find around here with a strong angle drive on the cutting drum of the intake. just not sure which ratio they are, because these intake drums dont spin very fast.

/ where to salvage super duty angle drive #6  
Renze said:
most truck rear ends have too much speed reduction to run a mulcher at sufficient cutting speed.
Is there any other cheap and commonly available source of angle gears, with little or no ( 1:1 ) reduction ratio ?
An automobile rear end with one brake locked will output about 1.4:1 to 2:1.

I think some of the big old American sedans had ratios below 2:1 and so would output 1:1 set up this way.

If the load is momentary, like for example a tree-limb shredder, this might serve at minimal cost.

/ where to salvage super duty angle drive #7  
California said:
An automobile rear end with one brake locked will output about 1.4:1 to 2:1.

This forces the spider gears to spin extreamly fast (when in normal operation they dont spin much) most diffs will generate considerable heat and or wear quickly under this operation.

but it is a cheep/free option.

/ where to salvage super duty angle drive #8  
schmism said:
This forces the spider gears to spin extremely fast (when in normal operation they don't spin much) most diffs will generate considerable heat and or wear quickly under this operation. but it is a cheep/free option.
I can't find an online photo anywhere, but I remember around Petaluma several farmers had built home-brew machines to toss hay bales up onto a truck or haystack. These bale tosser machines used a salvaged car axle mounted above the back of a junker pickup and some kind of catapult arm. A crew member on the ground would engage hay hooks in the bale. Then the catapult operator would hit his brake pedal that locked one end of the axle. This would suddenly reel in the cable attached to the other end of the axle, and the bale would fly up in the air. With a skilled operator, the bale would land at the feet of a third person up on top of the hay truck (or haystack). These mechanisms had to be dangerous - OSHA must have outlawed them years ago. Anyhow, that's what I was thinking of as an application of a really cheap HD angle drive.

Does anyone have a picture of one of these machines?

/ where to salvage super duty angle drive #9  
I got a nice heavy right angle gear box out of an old IH corn chopper.
Check around in old junk implements.