Where to mount fuel transfer tank? pucks frame in truck bed or on trailer?

/ Where to mount fuel transfer tank? pucks frame in truck bed or on trailer? #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I pulled the aluminum 36 gallon transfer tank out of my old F250 before I sold it & need something to refuel the tractor on longer jobs. Debating on chopping up a spare 5th wheel puck frame & bolting it to that so I can remove it from the truck. Shortbed with a bed box already, so not a lot of room & I can't move the bed box further back because it's deep & will run into the wheel wells. It would look a little funky compared to where they usually get mounted. Option B is relocate the spare on the trailer to under the deck & mount the transfer tank behind the battery box. Some fab work either way, but nothing to bad.

Any thoughts either way? I keep waffling on which might be more convenient. Leaning towards the trailer at the moment.

20200726_103406.jpg20200726_103356.jpg

20200719_151731.jpg20200719_151718.jpg

/ Where to mount fuel transfer tank? pucks frame in truck bed or on trailer? #2  
If you mount it in the trailer I would build a ROPS type enclosure for it for protection.

/ Where to mount fuel transfer tank? pucks frame in truck bed or on trailer? #3  
Personally I'd go the trailer route. That leaves the pickup bed available for hauling stuff and you can leave the trailer where the fuel is being used.

/ Where to mount fuel transfer tank? pucks frame in truck bed or on trailer? #4  
Agree with Roadworthy.

On Big Barns suggestion, not aware have ever seen rops or cage for fuel tank but has value no doubt.

/ Where to mount fuel transfer tank? pucks frame in truck bed or on trailer? #5  
Trailor vote also.

Is it a tilt bed trailor ?

Just curious if it could be mounted aboard the 2 inch square tubing that the winch is mounted to. Other words in between the winch and spare tire. Going to have to rig up some mounting brackets and whatnot anyway. Or better yet mount the tire in between the fuel tank position in the mockup and the winch. Basically raise and reverse to the rear the tire mounting bracket.

Can tire be mounted on side of trailor ? Should not hang out past fenders. Just personally would hate to mount and remove a spare tire from under the trailor. Bound to be a bad spot on the side of the road, etc.

/ Where to mount fuel transfer tank? pucks frame in truck bed or on trailer? #6  
Another vote for the trailer for the same reasons. Also, 36 gallons of diesel weights about 250# plus the weight of the tank, is that going to cause problems with tongue weight/balance with the trailer?

/ Where to mount fuel transfer tank? pucks frame in truck bed or on trailer? #7  
Option 3 - Change the style of tank and mount it between the frame rails of the trailer. Mount ahead of the axle(s) for less balance problems. Old GM truck tanks or old Ford Van tanks (full size) would be a good candidate. If you're driving a refill setup with a pump, it doesn't matter where the tank is located. With the right install, it could be a problem free refill too. But, give thought to how often it's used. Given that, another vote for trailer mounted tank. :)

/ Where to mount fuel transfer tank? pucks frame in truck bed or on trailer? #8  
On Big Barns suggestion, not aware have ever seen rops or cage for fuel tank but has value no doubt.

I’m not sure if an ROPS or cage is even a real thing for fuel tanks.

It’s just that in this case the tank looks relatively exposed sitting on the tongue and could be afforded a little protection in case it got bumped by the loader bucket or similar scenario.

Last edited:
   / Where to mount fuel transfer tank? pucks frame in truck bed or on trailer? #9  
Tin hack suggestion of using a different tank sounds best. If that is a option

/ Where to mount fuel transfer tank? pucks frame in truck bed or on trailer? #10  
Understanding everyone's needs are different.

What about when the tank needs refilled? So you would have to hitch up the trailer and pull it to town to get fuel? Or maybe you have a storage tank at home and would only fill it if travelling to work?

I have two trucks and wish I had a second transfer tank.