Where to mount a crossover relief, diverter & 3rd function QCs on a loader?

/ Where to mount a crossover relief, diverter & 3rd function QCs on a loader? #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I've had a 3rd function on my loader since new. I had a linear actuator power SSQA on my old machine (Linear actuator for power SSQA?) & am hopefully going to get around to putting a hydraulic one on my L4060hstc finally.

I blew a hose on my hydraulic SSQA post hole digger a little while back & finally got around to fixing it. Standard control valve & no crossover relief, so the only surprising part was it took that long for something to let go.

I snapped a crossover relief between the bracket & QDs on the loader as a quick & dirty fix for 2 post holes this weekend. Things leak & because I flipped the bracket, the back of the hose barely touches the brush guard. So that needs to get redone properly. Hoses don't hit the top of the SSQA frame, but it's closer than I'd like & I'd probably be unable to unlock the SSQA handles with a hose on so the valve mounted like it is doesn't work on many levels.

My only other 3rd function implement at this time is my snow plow. That already has it's own crossover relief valve in it. I'd like a grapple at some point, but it's not likely something I'll get for a good while, if ever.

I had thought about permanently mounting a crossover relief on the loader so it would service all implements & either remove the one on the plow, or just leave it & end up with 2 for that implement. There isn't a super easy place to mount it on the PHD. I'd have to probably mount it to the side of the housing on the top & end up with hoses doing a big S.

Any suggestions on where to mount & package things? I'm not concerned with how to make things work, plumbing is straight forward. Into the top ports on the diverter, 1 pair out to the power SSQA cylinder. Other pair out to the QDs or crossover relief then QDs. Valve with the blue plugs in it is the diverter valve I plan on using for the power SSQA. 2 ports on top are input, ports on either side are the outputs. I'm guessing I'll end up with the QDs pointing more vertically to steer clear of the SSQA frame, power SSQA gear & what not. The mounting cover the DQs are mounted to is tweaked from a previous oopsie lowering the loader with the brushguard not latched back. Light gauge steel I've never gotten around to hammering back straight. I haven't looked under the guards around the 3rd function valves under the machine, but doubt there would be room for the crossover relief there. Not sure if I want to permantly mount it on the machine side anyway.

20231021_180610.jpg

20231021_180618.jpg

20231022_123132.jpg

20231022_123142.jpg

/ Where to mount a crossover relief, diverter & 3rd function QCs on a loader? #2  
Can't help with the real-estate issue, but I have a question about the diverter for the power SSQA, isn't using a manual one self defeating? Won't you have to get off the tractor to switch it?

/ Where to mount a crossover relief, diverter & 3rd function QCs on a loader?
Can't help with the real-estate issue, but I have a question about the diverter for the power SSQA, isn't using a manual one self defeating? Won't you have to get off the tractor to switch it?

The only time you need to use the diverter is when you are already off the machine hooking or unhooking hoses. Most of the time for bucket or forks I'll just leave it set on power SSQA. If the implement requires hydraulics, grab it & latch with power SSQA. Then your getting off to hook up hoses anyway. After you hook up, hit the diverter to send power to the implement instead of power SSQA. Reverse for unhooking, you can't undo the SSQA latches until you hit the diverter, which is probably a good reminder you should have already unhooked the hoses anyway.

P.S. Got Dura-Wrap hose protector & some more twist lock hooks from you last week. Any idea when your TAMEit will be back in stock? I have a sneaking suspicion I may be in need of one sooner than later.

/ Where to mount a crossover relief, diverter & 3rd function QCs on a loader? #4  
P.S. Got Dura-Wrap hose protector & some more twist lock hooks from you last week. Any idea when your TAMEit will be back in stock? I have a sneaking suspicion I may be in need of one sooner than later.
Thanks!

I'm ordering more in this week. To tell the truth, I sort of forgot about them and forgot to order more.

/ Where to mount a crossover relief, diverter & 3rd function QCs on a loader? #5  
Wonder way a hydraulic auger would need a cross over relief? Not much of a lever arm to dynamically raise a hydraulic trapped circuit after a control valve. I could be missing an important reason.

Back dragging with a grapple lid or grading with a TNT can cause trapped circuit pressures to skyrocket to twice the control valve relief pressures.

Want to get a hydraulic auger/stump planer so curious. Had a ssqa/3pt log grapple that had crossover pressure relief because of pulling a long log lever arm.

Last edited:
Wonder way a hydraulic auger would need a cross over relief? Not much of a lever arm to dynamically raise a hydraulic trapped circuit after a control valve. I could be missing an important reason.

Back dragging with a grapple lid or grading with a TNT can cause trapped circuit pressures to skyrocket to twice the control valve relief pressures.

Want to get a hydraulic auger/stump planer so curious. Had a ssqa/3pt log grapple that had crossover pressure relief because of pulling a long log lever arm.

A hydraulic motor becomes a hydraulic pump when you spin it. Not a lot of momentum in an auger, compared to a mower or what not, but apparently enough. No idea how many holes I've put in, probably under a hundred in 5 years, with no relief valve. So lack of relief won't kill things immidiately.

But it blew a hose last time I used it & I haven't needed it or bothered repairing it in the past year. I'm assuming it popped due to a pressure spike when I let off the valve.

Drilled 2 holes in the top of the PHD last night & bolted the crossover relief there. So apparently, it's going on the impliment & only the diverter & QDs are going on the loader frame.

/ Where to mount a crossover relief, diverter & 3rd function QCs on a loader? #7  
Hose physical damage and quality is variable too.

/ Where to mount a crossover relief, diverter & 3rd function QCs on a loader? #8  
The only time you need to use the diverter is when you are already off the machine hooking or unhooking hoses. Most of the time for bucket or forks I'll just leave it set on power SSQA. If the implement requires hydraulics, grab it & latch with power SSQA. Then your getting off to hook up hoses anyway. After you hook up, hit the diverter to send power to the implement instead of power SSQA. Reverse for unhooking, you can't undo the SSQA latches until you hit the diverter, which is probably a good reminder you should have already unhooked the hoses anyway.
Not to derail your thread but this is a great idea, I had never thought of it but it makes lots of sense. Thanks for sharing the manual diverter setup idea to switch between hyd SSQA and 3rd function.

Attached the crossover relief to the PHD. Started measuring for the short connector hoses with a random hose I had laying around.

Painted the manual doverter valve, fabled up a bracket & think it's going there for now.

Have a 1" cylinder with a 5/8" rod. Just need a longer bolt to hook up one of the ball eyes. Figuring out how ill add a rod to the other end. If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable. So probably going to cut the eye off the rod & weld on some threaded rod.. 5/8-18 Rod End Female Right Hand CFR-10 | Female Mount Female Rod Ends | Rod Ends | Power Transmission | www.surpluscenter.com so I can get the max stroke set exactly right

Ordered a pile of fittings & adapters. I hate waiting for parts so I ordered way to many so I'll have plenty to choose from & spares for the next projects. 4" of snow & a high of 30 this weekend. Probably stalled out for a few days.
20231027_171515.jpg
20231027_191204.jpg
20231027_191212.jpg

/ Where to mount a crossover relief, diverter & 3rd function QCs on a loader? #10  
I like your coupler mounting position. It allows you to use body weight to assist in coupling Your hoses to tractor.
I have done similar and it makes a big difference in ease of coupling.

1698577532140.jpeg