Where to go tractor shopping?

/ Where to go tractor shopping? #11  
I bought a new tractor last year and for me, the process started with looking for something used with everything I wanted online. I think that www.tractorhouse.com has the most listings, but that could vary by location. I've always been a big fan of Kubota, so that was my first choice when looking. I went to quite a few used dealers to look at what they had in person. The more I looked, the more I liked Kubota, and then I refined what sized tractor I wanted, along with the features I liked the best. Being able to climb into a variety of different brands of used tractors also showed me what brands I didn't like, but surprisingly, I found a few brands that I hadn't considered, to become top choices.

There is no "best" brand out there. In my opinion, some are better then others, and looking at wear and tear on used tractors with similar hours showed to me that some wear out faster then others. I understand that people take care of their tractors differently, but I don't believe that accounted for some of the stuff I saw when looking at used tractors.

Because I wanted a cabbed tractor, I thought that I would save money by getting a used one. The more I looked, the more I began to rethink that. Prices on used tractors where increasing every month that I was out looking. Since I was financing, the monthly payment that I was comfortable with was becoming a challenge. That's when I decided to look at new tractors with low interest rates. In the end, I bought a Massey Ferguson tractor that has really impressed me, and my payments are right where I wanted them to be when I was looking at used tractors.

/ Where to go tractor shopping? #12  
I gave up on finding a reasonably priced used tractor in good condition, and shopped for new.

My neighbor bought a one year old ck2610 open station with a backhoe about two years later. It works for him, but he paid almost as much as a new one was going for at the time, so what’s the point in that.

Unless it’s some sort of a lease, rental, or an upgrade involved, not many people trade or sell good tractors from what I can see. There are some deals out there I know, but how much time do you wan’t to spend chasing the rainbow?

Last edited:
   / Where to go tractor shopping?
Welcome, I would start by shopping at dealers and driving/sitting on new models and see what you like first. Then, if you are hoping for used, you will know what you want instead of settling for the first thing you can afford that may not be what you need/want.

You will want cash easily available, as in the same day. Good used tractors do not last long if they are priced right. Sometimes hours if that.

Post more about your needs, lot size, location etc. and the guys can help you a lot more.

Good luck.
Thanks Yander. I'd made an initial post last year asking what I need, and you actually provided some great advice in there already. Heading to the Kubota dealership in the morning to sit on some tractors. With 0% financing for 72 months there's a good argument to be made for just buying new at this point.

/ Where to go tractor shopping? #14  
As others have mentioned, the quest for good used is sometimes futile and frustrating. I tried for a few months last summer and gave up and bought new.

The used Market is still not offering up too many bargains. I think on an investment that large, you really need to do your homework and get what you want, even if new.

At the end of the day, your not likely to save that much on used. There are deals out there but they are few and fleeting.

/ Where to go tractor shopping? #15  
   / Where to go tractor shopping? #16  
Thanks Yander. I'd made an initial post last year asking what I need, and you actually provided some great advice in there already. Heading to the Kubota dealership in the morning to sit on some tractors. With 0% financing for 72 months there's a good argument to be made for just buying new at this point.
When I talked to my Kubota dealer, they where offering 0% for 72 months, but you also had to buy their insurance, and I felt that was a huge increase in the monthly payment. I later learned about Farm Bureau when I was looking at Massey Ferguson. By the time it was all said and done, I changed all my insurance over to Farm Bureau which included my new Massey tractor.

/ Where to go tractor shopping? #17  
Hi all. I'm going to be making my first tractor investment in the next six months and I'm wondering where I should direct my efforts. I've been looking at Craigslist and Facebook market place with mixed results, and I'm wondering if there's a better place to be looking. I've checked on the used inventory at my local dealerships and it's pretty sparse.

I bought a new tractor last year and for me, the process started with looking for something used with everything I wanted online. I think that www.tractorhouse.com has the most listings, but that could vary by location. I've always been a big fan of Kubota, so that was my first choice when looking. I went to quite a few used dealers to look at what they had in person. The more I looked, the more I liked Kubota, and then I refined what sized tractor I wanted, along with the features I liked the best. Being able to climb into a variety of different brands of used tractors also showed me what brands I didn't like, but surprisingly, I found a few brands that I hadn't considered, to become top choices.

There is no "best" brand out there. In my opinion, some are better then others, and looking at wear and tear on used tractors with similar hours showed to me that some wear out faster then others. I understand that people take care of their tractors differently, but I don't believe that accounted for some of the stuff I saw when looking at used tractors.

Because I wanted a cabbed tractor, I thought that I would save money by getting a used one. The more I looked, the more I began to rethink that. Prices on used tractors where increasing every month that I was out looking. Since I was financing, the monthly payment that I was comfortable with was becoming a challenge. That's when I decided to look at new tractors with low interest rates. In the end, I bought a Massey Ferguson tractor that has really impressed me, and my payments are right where I wanted them to be when I was looking at used tractors.
I have found that used tractors can be a good purchase if, you know the person that's selling it and you are familiar with how they used it and if they regularly performed the scheduled maintenance. Hind sight is 20/20 even if it's someone else's. I recently purchased a new tractor, had I bit the bullet 8 years ago when I bought a used tractor it not only would have cost less in the long term, but it would be paid off now.
My opinion is find the make and model that you like and will perform the tasks you need it for, then buy it (new).

Hope this helps,