Where to get sulfur to keep chiggers off?

/ Where to get sulfur to keep chiggers off? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
A local AT&T underground locations guy told me I can use sulfur around my socks & beltline to keep chiggers away, but I can't figure out where to get it ... Tractor Supply says they don't have it.

Any ideas?

/ Where to get sulfur to keep chiggers off? #2  
We used to get it at a pharmacy. That was long ago. They even sold 'sulpher tablets' that you could take which was supposed to give your body some level of sulphur that would make you 'undesirable' to chiggers and ticks. Never tried those.

/ Where to get sulfur to keep chiggers off? #3  
You can buy sulfur at garden centers and some of the big box stores. It is used to acidify soil for things like blueberries that like a low pH.

Chuck

/ Where to get sulfur to keep chiggers off?
OK, thanks guys. I'll look for it.

I'm on chigger bout #4 this summer ... so far.

/ Where to get sulfur to keep chiggers off? #5  
I tried Sulfur years ago to ward off ticks an chiggers. I think I got it at the drug store.

It did not work.

DEET or Pemethrin works much better.

Later,
Dan

/ Where to get sulfur to keep chiggers off? #6  
I'm with Dan. A quick spray of Off insect repellent around the pant-legs and boots and it works all day. They have better smelling stuff now days. :thumbsup:

/ Where to get sulfur to keep chiggers off? #7  
   / Where to get sulfur to keep chiggers off? #8  
Tea tree oil works great for almost any bug... Just rub it on and it keeps the chiggers away ...some friends too :laughing: Really it does not smell bad.

/ Where to get sulfur to keep chiggers off?
I tried DEET-based "Off" spray - No luck. Got about 50 chigger bites that day. And, it makes me feel poisoned, all day, like I even have that stuff in my mouth. Just doesn't seem too good.

Maybe I'll try the sulfur powder plus DEET sprayed on my pants.

The problem with all these prevention ideas is: Let's say I load up on whatever spray, & don't get any bites - Does that mean the spray actually works?!!! ... or maybe I just never went in a chigger area that day :laughing: What fun these things are!!

I think this Saturday, I'm gonna try sulfur alone, & purposely go into the exact same areas I went this past Saturday ... & see what happens.

What's the worst that can happen? Yep, more chigger bites!! :confused2:

The interesting thing is, maybe I'm getting more tolerant, or maybe somewhat immuned to them, or just better at treating them, because they aren't quite as bad as the other times, even though I have 76 bites right now. Maybe I've just mentally come to terms with them!!! :laughing: