where to buy fertilizer in bulk or good deals near pendleton Oregon? new to farming

/ where to buy fertilizer in bulk or good deals near pendleton Oregon? new to farming #1  

bigrich954rr

Bronze Member
Tractor
branson 4720h 6ft brush hog ,post hole digger, ripper, pallet forks,
I have about 20 acres id like to put fertilizer down on. I brought 16-16-16-7 to put down just around the house and front yard areas. but it cost about 150 bucks for 3 bags and i put it on light . How do you go about doing small amount of acres with out going broke ?

/ where to buy fertilizer in bulk or good deals near pendleton Oregon? new to farming #2  
Ask neighbors
Most rural areas have a bulk fertilizer seller somewhat close by
In my area there is usually a farm co op close by

/ where to buy fertilizer in bulk or good deals near pendleton Oregon? new to farming #3  
I once knew a guy who said he found a really good deal on sale at a department store. He bought enough bags to fertilize his pasture.

/ where to buy fertilizer in bulk or good deals near pendleton Oregon? new to farming #4  
You need to talk to farmers in the area, and also talk to your local extension agent. Putting nitrogen on this time of year is a loser, because it will evaporate or run off before the spring growing season. If the pasture is well developed with clover and grasses, applying nitrogen will cause the grass to overcompete the clover and kill off the natural nitrogen fixing. You can badly damage a pasture with fertilizer. If your pasture is all grass, this is the time of year to pug seed ladino clover for cows or subterranean clover for horses or sheep.

Phosphates can be soluble or insoluble depending on the chemicals you buy. You could apply insoluble phosphate this time of year, but wait until spring before you apply soluble phosphate. Potash is always soluble, so spring is the only time to apply it. Before you put anything on you need a soil analysis. It's very doubtful that a triple 16 is appropriate for your pasture. Your aim should be to balance nutrients without paying for runoff that buys you nothing.

/ where to buy fertilizer in bulk or good deals near pendleton Oregon? new to farming
Ok thank you that's why I only put it down on the lawn and the apple orchard . It's a very light coat as I only bought three bags of it

What would be the benefit of putting down insoluble phosphate this time a year ?

I'm trying to get the pasture ready for cattle next year

/ where to buy fertilizer in bulk or good deals near pendleton Oregon? new to farming #6  
For grass field I fertilize balanced mix in September and November , high nitrogen in April . This is based on extension study completed in Ohio.

/ where to buy fertilizer in bulk or good deals near pendleton Oregon? new to farming #7  
Read up on intensive grazing. Without going "loopy" here, it's really nature's way of soil improvement that in most situations requires no chemical fertilizers. Check out & subscribe to Stockman Grass Farmer - The Grazier's Edge - Ridgeland, MS
It really makes sense even if you supplement or finish with grain.

/ where to buy fertilizer in bulk or good deals near pendleton Oregon? new to farming #8  
Ok thank you that's why I only put it down on the lawn and the apple orchard . It's a very light coat as I only bought three bags of it

What would be the benefit of putting down insoluble phosphate this time a year ?

I'm trying to get the pasture ready for cattle next year

Orchards do not benefit from top dressing with fertilizer. Instead you have to plug the fertilizer below the grass line. Top dressing will stimulate grass growth and steal both water and nutrients from the trees.

Insoluble phosphates are not available to the plant immediately, and have to weather over time. Phosphate availability is highly dependent on soil pH. A pH of between 6.0 and 7.0 will provide the most phosphate to your plants, which probably means lime application. Most PNW soils are pretty acidic, with a native pH around 4. You can pick up a simple soil test kit at your local farm store.

You really need to talk to your local extension agent. You also need to pick the guy with the most productive pasture in miles and ask him how he does it. If nothing else, 20 acres is worth taking a hay crop. Find out about endophyte-free fescue.

The Endophyte | Forage Information System | Oregon State University

If you want to run livestock, find out about MIRG.

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb1097378.pdf

Your pasture management will depend heavily on your water rights. Grass will go dormant in the summer because of no water, and dormant in the winter because of low temperatures. You will be feeding hay heavily. If you continue to feed to the end of the cattle growth curve,you will lose your shorts. You not only need to learn about the land, you need to learn about the animals too. It looks like you may have to go to Umatilla or Milton-Freewater to find a local extension agent.

OSU Extension Service - Umatilla County |

/ where to buy fertilizer in bulk or good deals near pendleton Oregon? new to farming
Ok thank you . I have a river that cuts thought the property which keep most of the grass still green in the summer . I've been watching my neighbor and he normally just let the cattle graze opening across the field .

I have being looking at the links and slowly learning

/ where to buy fertilizer in bulk or good deals near pendleton Oregon? new to farming #10  
Looks like there is a Crop Production Services (CPS) in Athena and a few other towns in that area.

Find a Location | Crop Production Services

One by me has fertilizer as well as various weed spray, marker dye and probably everything else related to managing crops. Can buy by the bag or the pallet and possibly they have tow-behind spreader buggies you can rent. 16-16-16 is one of the more expensive fertilizers but quite a bit cheaper when buying it from a place like this rather than a retail farm and garden place. If you are doing 20 acres it would be well worth doing soil tests and finding out exactly what you need to put down rather than guessing.