Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Where NOT to clear snow!

/ Where NOT to clear snow! #21  
The rule of thumb I have heard is:

Anything "dark" or "black" is likely too thin.

4" thick ice is generally safe to walk on, but be prepared to know how to claw your way out if you step on a thin spot.

6" is usually enough for snowmobiles, light ATV's, and ice-houses.

12" is the recommended minimum for cars and light trucks in the 4000 to 6000 lb range.

The smallest CUT's would weigh less than a car (my little JD is about 2500 lbs with the front blade, more with the loader). The larger ones would start to go up over 10,000 lbs, maybe even 12,000 to 15,000 lbs.

24" thick is needed for any type large truck or heavy equipment.

My unofficial rule of thumb is to wait two weeks after the last report I hear of somebody's car going through the ice!

The hard part in the spring is to know when to stop going on the ice two weeks before the first car goes through.

The only sure way to know how thick the ice is is to drill a hole and measure it. A small, hand-driven ice-fishing auger can be useful for this.

Currents, springs, road drainage (with salt), wind-blown dirt on top of the ice, ice harvesting, and deep snow can all dramatically change the thickness of the ice in various areas, so don't assume the whole lake is uniform.

Here in MN, the State Department of Natural Resources has a stiff fine for the polution caused by vehicles or equipment that goes through the ice. Plus, they require you to get it removed immediately. That can be expensive in a deep part of the lake, or if the ice is at an intermediate thickness that is too thin to get the salvage equipment on, but too thick to be easily busted out of the way to use a small barge.

- Rick

/ Where NOT to clear snow! #22  
You ever seen really clear ice on a lake? It is kind of neat. Several years ago my father in law and I went fishing at a local lake. It is only about 4' deep in most parts. About an 80 acre lake. There was absolutely no wind while the ice formed. It was crystal clear. No bubbles, snow, nothing. Like walking on glass. You could see the bottom perfectly. It was terrorizing just to take that first step out to drill a test hole. It was only a few inches deep, but just creepy. The ice ended up being aobut 6-8 inches thick. Very hard, safe ice. But we couldn't catch any fish! As you'd walk along you could see the fish dart away from you. They'd come up and look at you but never get near the bait. We finally found a place with weed tops sticking out of the ice that were able to cause some snow to drift around them. Man, we pulled in some nice perch that were hiding under that snowcover. Only about 2' of water. Something I'll remember for the rest of my life. My father in law still talks about that day. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Where NOT to clear snow! #23  
Some of my fondest memories are of my dad and I ice fishing in a shanty on Lake Erie around South Bass Island. We would fly over to the Island, stay in a farm house for the evening and get up very early the next day to fish. A ice guide took us out on the ice in a stripped down auto. As we caught the Walleye we were instructed to throw them out on the ice so the guide that came around every couple of hours could pick them up and transport them for us.

As it happened we were having a real good day catching fish and kept flinging them out the door of the shanty onto the ice. Sure enough every couple of hours the guide would stop by pop his head in the shanty to see how we were, ask if we needed anything, and go on.

The last part of the day when he comes around he says to us, "You guys are the only ones fishing today and not catching anything." As it turned out, as soon as we would flop a Walleye on the hard ice a hungry fat gull would carry them off to eat.

I still laugh about that fishing trip to this very day. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Where NOT to clear snow! #24  
Hee hee.. There was a Great Blue Heron that lived up on Eagle lake a few miles north of hear. It would stick around all winter and beg from the fishermen. Most people would fling it the first fish of the day that they caught, kind of like a good omen/offering type of thing. The Heron got bold and would then walk up behind people and pick their fish off the ice when they weren't looking. Funny thing was, lots of people would see it going for someone's fish, but they wouldn't say anything and see how long it took for the person to notice. Kind of funny to see 10 or 15 guys and a Heron standing around in a group looking at holes in the ice. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Where NOT to clear snow! #25  
LOL heron looking down through the holes !

one locally was standing on the ice looking down through it kind of perplexed a month or so back... I think he was wondering how was he gonna get one of them thare fish! hahah...

I dis like the thought of standing on the ice or fishing through it. I did some when I was younger and had less commong sence too! hahaha. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

anyhow I have heard of lots of fine being handed out for the crashed through vehicals... watched them diving on a few whecks of semi trucks that were laying on the bottom... It seems the guys driving want to haul fuel oil the most as it will keep the truck floating if it goes through! through they still have a lot of head achs getting a loaded truck out of the ice.

I imigine this year they have several feet of ice to work with!? been DANG cold!

Mark M

/ Where NOT to clear snow! #26  
Pine Ridge: That's a nice story about the walleyes and the gulls... at least the fish you lost weren't too big, or those gulls would not have been able to steal them. I remember being in Wisconsin thirty years ago, in Jan., and seeing the snowmobile "roads" that paralled the two lane blacktop roads- the farmers would travel everywhere, especially to the local taverns, without ever getting into their pickups. You'd see 20 snowmobiles and one pickup parked outside. But most memorable was walking over the lakes at night- no lights anywhere but the moonlight, and hearing the eerie creaks and groans of the lake ice. The fishing holes were easy to spot, and one quick plunge thru the thin freeze layer told us that we had more ice depth that anyone was willing to stick their arm into to measure.

/ Where NOT to clear snow! #27  
Varmint it was the very same way in Pennsylvania years ago when I used to ride snowmobiles. There were roads everywhere including the lakes that were groomed exclusively for the use of snowmobiles. And when you wandered off one of those groomed roads you could literally ride for hours without seeing another soul. The fresh snow and scenery was stunning.

We would always ride in groups for safety reasons and would always carry spare fuel with us just in case.

And yes the frozen lakes used to make sounds that we compared to the noise that a whale would make. Kind of a very deep groan/moan. If you have ever heard it before you will soon not forget it. All very good reasons why I consider Northeastern winters some of the best.

/ Where NOT to clear snow! #28  
On Sunday, there were two ski-planes landed on the lake in front of my house along with the numerous snowmobiles, ATV's, pickup trucks, ice-shantys, and "pedestrians". Kind of a crowded place to land a plane.

I swear that the one guy in the shanty directly out front of my house is living there this winter. His truck seems to be there 24 hours a day.

- Rick

/ Where NOT to clear snow! #29  
I'd love to see a picture of that lake. (hint hint). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif