Where info on 4 in 1?

/ Where info on 4 in 1? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Welp, have been lurking/reading/lurking/reading etc... and formulating ideas for my "perfect tractor" Think I have become intrigued on the 4 in 1 bucket. Have searched everywhere here for info on where they are and can't seem to find anything.

Is Long "the" bucket to get? if not, who is? Where/how can they be contacted? Any idea on city/state?

Any ideas on improvements on tractor options, (Other than <font color=blue>BLUE</font color=blue>?) /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif :

L-4610 HST
Kubota Loader
Thinking of 4 in 1 instead of HD bucket w/tooth bar
HD 6' rotary cutter
HD 7' box blade
Top n tilt
Canopy + 4 lights (acutally somewhat partial to folding ROPS & no canopy, the canopy would be for older Uncle who cuts the farm and would like the cover, personally, I'd rather not have it)
R4's, contemplated the Michelins but they don't seem to fit well (per other discussions) with loader *and* local dealer trying to talk me out of them on a "value of investment" basis.
TRYING to talk myself into BH but "Mr. Budget" and "Mr. Loves Toys" are still fighting. If I go with BH, would probably be Woods unless convinced otherwise. Looked into Bradco, but seems for a couple of thousand dollars more, I don't have to remove the 3pt. If that is the "primary" difference, kind of hard for homeowner to justify. The 3pt doesn't look that hard to take off, and I'm in no hurry at home. I know it is said to be much heavier and/or "commercial" duty, but (swimming in ignorance) isn't the Woods "good enough" to get the job done and still be a poor man's toy? /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Thanks for any thoughts
Richard

/ Where info on 4 in 1? #2  
Richard- check L4610 is here I posted the # for long. It would apear that you get the most bang for your buck from long, I don't have mine yet but thats what Im told. This looks like a tractor that I would by.
Rich

/ Where info on 4 in 1? #3  
Maybe Mark will look in his owners manual and give you some information on recommendations on mowers and boxblades. I belive that Kubota recommends both width and weight for rotary cutters and boxblades.

I like your options.

It is sure nice if the boxblade is a tad wider than the tires, but 7 ft HD box blade is very heavy and expensive and takes a lot of power. I can run out of traction with a 68HP 4WD tractor with a HD Gannon 6 1/2 foot box blade - but it sure works well.

Medium duty mowers also take a lot of HP. You are probably ok with 6 ft. The HD mowers take even more HP as they are set up to cut 2 inch stuff and are also pretty expensive.

R4's are no improvement over R1's if you need traction in dirt or mud. Better on pavement and little better on grass.

/ Where info on 4 in 1? #4  
I don't have anything that lists implement specs for the L4610, but since the rotary cutter is ok for the L4310, I'm sure it is for L4610. The box blade recommendation is 6', but I doubt the 7' would be a problem, unless you were using a super-duty one.

There are other 4-in-1 buckets made besides Long. Most of them are primarily for skid-steers and are pretty poorly (or at least lightly) made. I don't know of any that are anywhere near the value of the Long, though.

Mark

/ Where info on 4 in 1?
Thanks guys,

Finally found Long's phone number and called. Had short conversation and having some "info" sent to me. Looks like they are going to be soon raising their prices a bit. I presume a 6' box blade will cover rear tracks, so I guess I might as well save a nickel and not over do it. One local dealer I spoke with suggested I ought to go that way.

Regards,
Richard /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Where info on 4 in 1? #6  
Richard - I'll be interested to hear what you get from Long. I'll forewarn you, though - unless it's changed a lot in the past year or so, prepare to be disappointed. Let's put it this way: When you buy a Long attachment, you're not paying for any advertising, brochures, marketing folks, etc. It's all going purely into the product. That's the kindest way I can put it... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

You're at a disadvantage, I'm afraid, if you don't have a local dealer who carries Long stuff. My guess is that 99% of all Long attachments have been sold to people who've actually seen them first. They're as common as dirt in NC and VA, so everybody knows what they're getting, and a glossy brochure isn't necessary. But please don't base your opinion of the product on the "info" they send you.

Mark

/ Where info on 4 in 1?
Mark,
Thanks for the heads up. Out of the 3 dealers I have specifically spoken with, seems one does VOLUMES with them (Carver) the two closer to me, one does "a lot" and the other has done "a couple".

I've contemplated last day or so, if the volume of activity should be a factor in who might get an order. Seems that it ought to be simple enough to install etc... but also, that he who has installed 50 of them might have a slight advantage on doing it right the first time against he who has only done say... 3 of them (numbers used for illustration purposes only of course /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif)

Richard

/ Where info on 4 in 1? #8  
Richard - I'm a little jaundiced, but when I interpret dealer statements on how experienced they are on something, I try to make a best guess on what the dealer meant based on what I know about them, divide that by two, then subtract one. Which is a very complicated way of getting "a couple" down to "zero". I know Carver does literally "volumes" as they said. Plus, they're not far geographically from Long. You'll have to make the call on how many the local dealer who's done "lots" has actually done, but I'd be leery of any dealer who hasn't done at least half a dozen or so, unless you know they're very capable and understand hydraulics, electric solenoid valves (if you use them), etc.

Mark

/ Where info on 4 in 1?
Pardon my lack of clarity, my better half sometimes (more like hourly) tells me I get into to many details ...

It wasn't any dealer that made any such statements, it was during the conversation with Long that I was informed of the variety of numbers. Of course, I don't know, nor really "care" what any numbers exactly are. They were just his comments in a general response to my inquiry if dealer "so and so" sold/used their products.

Richard

/ Where info on 4 in 1?
I just re-read what I said initially, I see the obvious conclusion of "dealer so and so said..."

Clarifying: I have spoken with 3 dealers about quotes. I have spoken with NONE of them regarding 4 in 1 bucket. ALL of those conversations were here and with Long themselves, who inferred that each dealer I named to him had done the "stated" amount of business, though in reality, it was sort of just a reference relevant to each other I think.

Again, sorry for confusion, I don't want anyone concluding something based on a vague representation by me.

I just find I don't much care for the typed world of communication as opposed to the verbal. Leaves too much to be desired if/when something "important" is at hand.

Better than nothing to be sure. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Richard