Where do you store your filled fuel containers?

/ Where do you store your filled fuel containers? #1  

stumblinhorse

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 75C, Kubota L3130
I keep 10 gallons of diesel and 3 gallons of gas on hand usually in my uninsulated shop. I Have my tractors and other gas powered engines in there also. I have an attached garage that stays warmer in winter. I would worry about the cans in the garage being full. But I wonder if the cold(-20F) in my shop is bad for fuel. I am not sure there is much condensation happening in the shop. The temperature rarely gets above 32 in there. My attached garage only fluctuates about 8 degrees from 40-48* in winter.

Where and how should I store that stuff to be safe and as fresh as possible. The diesel gets used up in about every 2 weeks, the gas lasts the winter unless I need to run the generator.

/ Where do you store your filled fuel containers? #2  
Diesel
20210611_181804.jpg

Gas in small metal shed with 4x8x16 solid cement blocks under plastic cans to help regulate the temp of the fuel.

/ Where do you store your filled fuel containers?
Diesel
View attachment 782430

Gas in small metal shed with 4x8x16 solid cement blocks under plastic cans to help regulate the temp of the fuel.
I would love one of those, but then I either have to figure out delivery or get pallet forks to lift it.

/ Where do you store your filled fuel containers? #4  
I store 55 gallons of diesel and 30g gasoline in my detached shed. The shed is far enough away from the house so that I am not concerned, plus the shed has no electricity / heat.
The diesel is specifically for emergency generator use, so it's treated and the drum is always topped off. Gasoline is stored over winter stabilized, in 6 steel Jerry cans. In the summer I go through the 30 gallons of gas, maybe a little more.

I've never had condensation issues and I do try to keep the containers full when possible.

/ Where do you store your filled fuel containers? #5  
I store all the fuel in the unheated shed. It has a thick concrete floor and the jugs are on wood. I've never had condensation problems.

/ Where do you store your filled fuel containers? #6  
Nowhere, have a 500 gallon bulk tank that my fuel supplier leases to me.

/ Where do you store your filled fuel containers? #7  
I store 15-20 gallons of treated diesel in an unheated shed;never had a problem in our frigid climate.-25F degrees the other day.I try to keep the tractor full at all times,battery tender always and block heater before use.

/ Where do you store your filled fuel containers? #8  
I store 15-20 gallons of treated diesel in an unheated shed;never had a problem in our frigid climate.-25F degrees the other day.I try to keep the tractor full at all times,battery tender always and block heater before use.
Like your whole entire post. I just want to add emphasis on the block heater. Cranking a warm engine is so much better. Plus greatly reduces wear.

/ Where do you store your filled fuel containers? #9  
I've been storing approx 20 gallons of Power Service treated diesel and 10 gallons of Stabil treated ethanol free gasoline in an unheated shed about 75 feet from the house. The containers sit up off the ground on wooden skids, covered with a tarp to keep bird crap etc. off of everything and cut down on sudden temperature changes. I've had no fuel issues the past approx 15 years. Most of the time, my three tractors are keep topped up.....especially in the winter when they are used less frequently. The tractors are also stored in un heated sheds.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Where do you store your filled fuel containers? #10  
If your containers are vented they will breathe out as their temperature rises and breathe in as their temperature falls. If they are breathing in moisture laden air you are likely to get condensation.

I found that out when I stored a mostly used 5 gallon container of tractor fluid with a bucket pump that has a steel lid on top. It does not seal the container. When I went to use it there was water in the oil. My barn does not get nearly as cold as your shop but it can be damp in there in the winter.