Where do you get rid of used hydraulic fluid?

/ Where do you get rid of used hydraulic fluid? #61  
For an old gear tractor I wonder if just leaving drained UTF sitting undisturbed in storage for a year, to let sediment settle out, would make it suitable for reuse. I have a small sample I put in a glass jar a couple of years ago (after 10 years use, no water contamination). Little to nothing has settled out, the color is slightly darker than new UTF but otherwise it looks good. Are there additives that get depleted over time? Any other reason to not re-use UTF in a gear tractor?
Before using such reclaimed oil, the approx. $30 charge for analysis by a reputable lab is relatively cheap peace of mind and far more credible than various opinions stated on the internet (including this forum).

/ Where do you get rid of used hydraulic fluid? #62  
A fella from Deville LA may not be able to justify buying a waste oil furnace to dispose of a few gallons of hydraulic oil.
Need to find someone that has a waste oil furnace either a private individual or a local repair shop. They often have waste oil heaters. Their fuel is free. Those things burn anything oil related that is viscous enough to run through the pump.

/ Where do you get rid of used hydraulic fluid? #63  
Autozone and Advanced will take my used motor oil without question but when i asked them about hydraulic oil they said they couldn't take that.

Where do you get rid of it?
Just put it in used 5-quart oil jugs and don't tell them its not motor oil. It recycles just fine, they just need to have a policy like that so that people don't bring them too much random stuff.

/ Where do you get rid of used hydraulic fluid? #64  
Hydraulic oil sometimes has flame retardant in it which is why they refuse it. It messes with their waste oil burners. If it doesn't have the flame retardant designations of HFAE, HFAS, HFB, HFC, HFDR or HDFU, I wouldn't sweat taking it to a place and telling them it's just oil. It won't hurt anything.

/ Where do you get rid of used hydraulic fluid? #65  
I used to mix it with diesel and run it in my '93 7.3L IDI in the colder months.

/ Where do you get rid of used hydraulic fluid? #66  
Autozone and Advanced will take my used motor oil without question but when i asked them about hydraulic oil they said they couldn't take that.

Where do you get rid of it?
Oreillys Auto Parts never questions me about what I put in their collection tank

/ Where do you get rid of used hydraulic fluid? #67  
I've found that some auto parts stores with take it if you call it "transmission fluid".

/ Where do you get rid of used hydraulic fluid? #68  
Use old hydraulic fluid for chain oil in my saws, works great.

/ Where do you get rid of used hydraulic fluid? #69  
NY requires that anyone who sells hydraulic or motor oil to collect it for recycling, it's odd that they won't take it as hydraulic oil should be cleaner than motor oil (no soot/heavy metals in most cases).

Aaron Z

I'm in NY and don't think that can be 100% true, as lots of "convenience" stores and even supermarkets sell quarts of motor oil.

I doubt they will take any used oil. Never tried to drop any used off there though.

/ Where do you get rid of used hydraulic fluid? #70  
I'm burning motor oil mixed with diesel (50/50ish) in my Chinese diesel heater to heat my shop. About $120 online.
Wondering how to convert 8KW to BTU?