Where do These Chains on my Bush Hog go?

/ Where do These Chains on my Bush Hog go? #1  

Suburban Plowboy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710
I have neglected my old King Kutter bush hog, and now I want to hitch it up.

This bush hog has two mysterious chains up by the front. They have bent bars on the ends of them, and the bars have holes for pins or bolts. They don't fit the pins the tractor attaches to. They're too small. I can't find anything else on the tractor or attachment to attach them to.

Anyone know what they are and where they go?

23 09 19 King Kutter bush hog hitch with mystery chains.jpg

/ Where do These Chains on my Bush Hog go? #2  
My guess would be check chains for a machine that didn't have a conventional check chain system.

/ Where do These Chains on my Bush Hog go? #3  
I agree with Diesel68, they're probably an add on my the previous owner. My King Kutter doesn't have them. I do adjust sway on the lift arms so the mower can't move very far off center. I do this with the deck partially raised to allow me to easily move it to the extent of its travel both ways.

/ Where do These Chains on my Bush Hog go?
So these things were originally attached to the rear of the Kubota somehow. Thanks. Now I have to figure that out.

When I bought the tractor and cutter, the owner had kept them together. He had no ballast box and no quick hitch. I got a Pat's hitch and a ballast box, so I was liberated from the cutter, which was driving me nuts. Before I got the box, the cutter was banging on the ground all the time, and it was in the way.

The tractor had hydraulic leaks, which the seller couldn't figure out how to fix. I got them stopped by tightening a couple of fittings. Is it likely he put the chains on the tractor to keep the cutter from dropping? This isn't a problem for me as far as I know, since I only want to use it for little jobs and then remove it.

/ Where do These Chains on my Bush Hog go? #6  
Normally, the chains are used instead of the top link. This allows the tractor and mower to not get into binding situations (mow across ditches).

Would mount high on the back of the tractor... Rops or by the top link.

google "mower check chains" then look at images...

Thanks. I think that's it.

/ Where do These Chains on my Bush Hog go? #8  
So these things were originally attached to the rear of the Kubota somehow. Thanks. Now I have to figure that out.

Is it likely the former owner put the chains on the tractor to keep the cutter from dropping? YES.

Often the check chains are suspended from divers types of fittings attached to the ROPS pivot/fold pin.

The big name brand is ZERCO.

The chains substitute for Three Point Hitch POSITION CONTROL.

MORE:

Last edited:
   / Where do These Chains on my Bush Hog go? #9  
Those are limiter chains. They would mount on the top link pin at the tractor.
They do not replace the top link.
Use to see these in use a lot on the older ford 8 and 9 n’s
They limit how low the implement will go down.

/ Where do These Chains on my Bush Hog go? #10  
Those are limiter chains. They would mount on the top link pin at the tractor.
They do not replace the top link.
Use to see these in use a lot on the older ford 8 and 9 n’s
They limit how low the implement will go down.
Bingo, you need a longer top link pin on the tractor end. Slide on of the tabs on the pin put the pin in the tractor attaching the top link and then the last tab on the end . Adjust the links so the front of the mower doesn't go too low, or if your tractor has position control toss them in the corner of the shop.