when's a good time to pick up a mower?

/ when's a good time to pick up a mower? #1  

milkman636

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335 + John Deere 1023e (former owner of Kubota BX2370-1, John Deere 5210, and Ford 2000)
Looking at this picture of today's weather you could probably think of some other attachment to buy. But, browsing the ads on CL I came across an RD7200 at an attractive price. Since an RFM is on the want list I carry in the back of my mind I had to go look.

For $750 delivered to the door I couldn't pass this one up. It's got some wear and needs some grease, and possibly some new blades soon. When its not snowing later this week sometime I hope to get it greased up and try it out.

I'd appreciate any advice that experienced RD7200 owners might have for me about these mowers.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 202
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
   / when's a good time to pick up a mower? #2  
Go mow the snow, sure it needs a trim.

I got nothing beyond that.

/ when's a good time to pick up a mower? #3  
I've got the seven footer of this model and it a better than great. Mows beautifully.
I use lithium/moly grease for the wheels and rotate them every now and then. The blades rarely need sharpening unless you mow rocks or dirt and if you ever need a belt get the Kevlar one. Blades are $100 a set. Change the gearbox oil and get an owner's manual. It's online I think. $750 was a great price.
Oh, I rotate my wheels every now and then and grease before every use.

/ when's a good time to pick up a mower?
Thanks for the tips sixdogs, and the good feedback. It has obviously been sitting in one spot for a while and wheels don't swivel very easily. I set it on some small appliance dollies so I could roll it around the barn more easily. Grease is definitely job one.

Go mow the snow, sure it needs a trim.

I got nothing beyond that.

thanks:laughing:, but it should be gone by tomorrow. I think I'll wait until then.

/ when's a good time to pick up a mower? #6  
Thanks for the tips sixdogs, and the good feedback. It has obviously been sitting in one spot for a while and wheels don't swivel very easily. I set it on some small appliance dollies so I could roll it around the barn more easily. Grease is definitely job one.

I would lift it up and pull the bolts out that hold the wheels on just to make sure you get the gunk out. I'd replace the bolts, use brake cleaner to clean inside. Make sure you have all the height spacers.

Why do you recommend replacing the bolts?

It sounds like it is time to find an owners or parts manual...or both.

/ when's a good time to pick up a mower? #8  
Why do you recommend replacing the bolts?

It sounds like it is time to find an owners or parts manual...or both.

If it's been sitting, as you mentioned, the bolts that go through the wheels will likely be rusty. Since they are only a hardware item and need to be smooth and accepting of grease for good rolling performance, it's worth taking a look at them. If they aren't rusty or worn, leave them alone. On the owner's manual, I think it's online. I don't think you'll need a parts manual but I recall that being online as well. Blades, if you need them, are cheaper on EBAY or Amazon.

Another thing worth taking a look at is that grass might bunch up because of the rear chain shields on yours. They shields aren't seen very often because they are an expensive option. Guys here that have them around here generally remove them because grass can get caught between the blades and chain and bunch up.

Oh, on removing the bolts to remover or add spacers to adjust blade height, I found an impact gun is the easiest way to go about it if you have one.

Thanks again sixdogs. I'll plan to pull the casters apart and drop them out of the carriers to get a good look at everything. The good news is that all the spindles seem tight and I spin the can spin the pto shaft by hand and turn the blades with no noticeable noise. I haven't pulled the belt cover yet to see how thing look under it either yet. But the price was right enough to tackle any deferred maintenance I might come across.:)

/ when's a good time to pick up a mower? #10  
These are pretty hard to hurt. You can burn a belt in two ft tall grass but even that is hard to do. I love my mower and it does a super job on the lawn. You might want new blades if nicked up.