When your CPA screws up?

/ When your CPA screws up?
Wait time estimated 1 hour and 53 minutes...

On hold now keeping fingers crossed.

Interesting when you first call a message played is those with lien or garnishment may not be able to buy, sell real estate or obtain a home mortgage...

Last edited:
Nothing to show for my 3.5 hours on the phone this afternoon.

Representative said unable to do a deep dive and transferred me to another at 3:15… at 4:30 a message came on saying to call again on the next business day and hung up.

Seems they cannot find the Pass Through Entity (PTE)payment on my behalf for year 2022 and regular representatives are not able to cross check.

This may end up being how I spend my vacation… representative did caution about liens and garnishments…

Fine kettle of fish I say…

Last edited:
   / When your CPA screws up? #24  
Nothing to show for my 3.5 hours on the phone this afternoon.

Representative said unable to do a deep dive and transferred me to another at 3:15… at 4:30 a message came on saying to call again on the next business day and hung up.

Seems they cannot find the Pass Through Entity (PTE)payment on my behalf for year 2022 and regular representatives are not able to cross check.

This may end up being how I spend my vacation… representative did caution about liens and garnishments…

Fine kettle of fish I say…

So sorry - not how it should work.

I had a very frustrating time with Social Security folks - rarely answered the phones, never called back and hung up if it was lunch time.

Real gems these folks.

/ When your CPA screws up? #26  
CPA short explanation is the amended return has not caught up with with the original return…

It does seem e-filing hasn’t helped.

The notice has no FTB agent name who sent it or to contact if you dispute…

Notice is pay amount billed or contact if there is a hardship paying.

I’m guessing paying under protest isn’t a good option?

IRS typically works in years, not days. Be patient.

/ When your CPA screws up? #27  
When I had a problem with the IRS I received a letter from them threatening with wage garnishment due to non payment.
I sent letter explaining I had sent regular quarterly payments. A month later I received another warning letter, I did not know what to do and was really concerned with how to resolve this without any serious problems with the IRS.
A few weeks later I received a letter from an individual in the IRS explaining he would be overseeing the discrepancy and disregard all previous correspondence and that additional warnings would probably be sent since they were computer generated. He requested I send a copy front and back of my checks as proof of payment. About 5 months later I received a letter form the agent stating my last check they received was credited to the previous year and the mistake was cleared up with no further action needed.

So my suggestion is write a letter and try to get an IRS agent assigned to your case. I think this is something I would have expected your CPA to have done already.

Seems I'm not alone...

Had a quarterly years ago applied to the previous year and a year later I received overpayment refund and deposited it.

About 6 months later I get late note with penalty and some interest.

I was told had I not deposited the refund check I could return it and all would be good.

However, since I deposited the check I did in fact owe penalty and interest...

I readily admit I know little if the tax code and why I have a CPA...

/ When your CPA screws up? #30  
The problem is that you can never reach anybody at the IRS and there is no single point of contact for specific cases. In case of problems I just pay and send accompanying documentation of my attempts to reach them. Make it clear that they are at fault, but pay. Indicate you seek interests for your, what is that stage, over-payment.
Subsequently, when somebody finally addresses the issue, ask for your money + interests back. That way there can be no possible lean, no worries, and you get some extra money for your suffering. The prerequisite is that you have the cash.