When is it time to repalce the tires

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #11  
Agree that the pictured tire is gone. But for a smaller cut or hole in the tire a boot is the lower cost alternative to a new tire. This is especially true in larger rear ag tires that are very expensive. Any farm tractor tire dealer should be able to boot a tire,

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #12  
I have a FarmTrac60. It is a 2003 model with low hours (less than 2000 hours). When not used the tractor is parked in a barn that is not climate controlled. I do not use the tractor for my livelihood.

The rear tire are 14.9x28. I have noticed some tread wear but I am more concerned with the cracking I see on the sides of the tire.

I am looking for advice of how to know when I need to replace the tires. One one hand I think about waiting until I have a blow out on the other hand I know that if I have a tire failure it will be at the worst possible time in an area that is not easily accessible.
My next down the road family neighbor uncle daddy. Brought his tractor down to put new rear tires on. Truck patches 40 acres with it. One tire had been off once. Other never been off. Bought in 1968. So one year before I came to existence.

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #13  
Hey, at tractor speeds you don't need to be concerned about hi speed blow outs.
Just ride them 'till they refuse to hold air and at that simply tube them for another bunch of years.

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #14  
I will take the other side of this.
While a tire full of cracks may last another x number of years, it will no doubt happen at a bad time. Manure pit or 2 miles from the barn. I would prefer to plan downtime and tube them when and where I have the time and tools to do it. Maybe 2 this year and then 2 more next.

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #15  
Well, I guess if you don't really need traction and the tires don't have any severe cracks, they can go a long way...

Pic from a local ad claiming to have low hours. Probably never disengaged that 4WD since new.

image;s=1000x700

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #16  
My 2009 came new with R-1's. Lord willing - I'll run these tires until they are bald.

/ When is it time to repalce the tires #17  
Get a barn and a new tire. the sun is extremely hard on tires......
Agreed, just look at my 2N with tires over 50 years old.
Never been stored under cover & the tires look bad.
Still hold air & work fine but LOOK BAD.
Looks mean A LOT with a working tractor, replace anything that gets scratched or worn enough to see it.
Just because it may continue to work for another 20, 30, or 50 years is no reason not to replace it.