When firewood was big business.

/ When firewood was big business. #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
firewood-yard1.jpg firewood-yard2.jpg firewood-yard3.jpg firewood-yard4.jpg firewood-yard5.jpg

Bruce

/ When firewood was big business. #2  
That is quite an operation. I did some historical research on our land and it turns out it was part of a larger tract that was a major source of firewood, supplying Richmond VA and Baltimore MD in the 1800s and early 1900s.

/ When firewood was big business. #3  
And those are pics of multiple locations.

/ When firewood was big business. #4  
Looks like enough there to get you through the whole winter !

/ When firewood was big business. #5  
Looks like 4' in length but cant tell if the wood is split, if it is how's that done in the 30s.

/ When firewood was big business. #6  
Grew up in a house with a 200 year old plantation-style fireplace that could take logs up to 4 feet easily... Giant andirons and a beautifully angled back to reflect the heat into the room. We cut wood in the fall as soon as it started to get cool. Since we were using a two-man crosscut saw, heat was not your friend. The fireplace fire burned pretty much constantly from Christmas through early March. And the kitchen was one of the more comfortable rooms in the house. Chairs close to the fireplace were usually decorated with wet clothes and gloves. While our woodpile was respectable, I have seen the giant piles at sawmills at the time, firewood cut with the big sawmill equipment from logs folks brought in. Some of the stacks were immense. And there was a fine science to stacking the wood so you could go high and long without having the pile constrained by a rack or posts.

/ When firewood was big business. #7  
Just think, that was all done by hand. Think how many times each piece was handled by the time it got into the stove or fireplace. That is why it was big business, lots of labor jobs. Doubt most those trucks could haul more than a cord.

Ron

/ When firewood was big business. #8  
Looking at the addresses scribed at the bottom, those pictures are from areas in Seattle that have been built up for many, many years now. Interesting.

/ When firewood was big business. #9  
I thought it might be Seattle. Some familiar street names - Fremont, Alaska St.

/ When firewood was big business. #10  
And last few years have been clearing from around fields and can not give hardwood away and I am cutting the trees down. And talking with people who will tell you, Oh, yes I like heating with wood.