When did the 20 series change to 1 piece rims?

/ When did the 20 series change to 1 piece rims? #1  

whitedogone

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4120
Our '05 4120 has 2 piece rims. But I noticed that the new one xx20's have 1 piece rims. When did Deere change? And why would they do that?

/ When did the 20 series change to 1 piece rims? #2  
I think the rim change was only with R4's. The R1's still have the 8 position, 2-piece rims.

One reason for the change-over might be - they're a PITA to take off and re-adjust for width. And if you aren't careful when you re-tighten the bolts (cross-hatch pattern) you can get an unbalanced rim that will constantly work loose and need to be re-tightened.

Most users with R4's don't worry about row-crops or orchard use, hay production, etc. so, changing the tire footprint is not a high priority.

AKfish

/ When did the 20 series change to 1 piece rims? #3  
I think the rim change was only with R4's. The R1's still have the 8 position, 2-piece rims.

One reason for the change-over might be - they're a PITA to take off and re-adjust for width. And if you aren't careful when you re-tighten the bolts (cross-hatch pattern) you can get an unbalanced rim that will constantly work loose and need to be re-tightened.

Most users with R4's don't worry about row-crops or orchard use, hay production, etc. so, changing the tire footprint is not a high priority.

AKfish

Correct, and they are less money too

/ When did the 20 series change to 1 piece rims? #4  
My dealer told me JD rolled the R4 solid rim change in on the 4X20 models sometime in 2009. So now you have only two choices with R4's -- either very narrow width around 71" or very wide width at around 90". The last I checked the Operators Manuals and sales literature had not yet been updated to reflect the change. When the dealer delivered my new 2010 4320 a few mos ago I was surprised with the new welded one piece wheels. I'm now looking at getting wheel spacers to get out to 78" or 79".