When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems?

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #71  
Product Liability laws surely are part of the "problem".

Some years ago, I heard that Cessna (or whatever their parent company is) was held liable when one of their products crashed. It was an ageing machine (around 30 years old I seem to remember) which had languished in an open shed without maintenance for years and years, before someone decided to take it up for a spin (maybe literally!). End result was that Cessna was held responsible.

So with emissions hot news these days, hardly surprising that the company lawyers are driving the design decisions to severely limit what an end-user can do, whether any part of the machine's integrity is compromised by after-market parts, and that certified maintenance is performed as required.

Oh, and profits of course...
Agree with the first part, second however... that whole emissions thing is primarily a tax credit/tax deduction/federal subsidy credit for manufacturers.

It would be nice if they were actually trying to do something about it, but while the easy money flows you will only get poor, borderline implementations.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #72  
...or get loaded in the cab and let the Greenstar drive the unit. Got a friend farmer like that. Gets in one of his JD track machines with his cooler and spends the day getting cocked. I will say that as good as they are, they still screw up. he had that issue last spring and the field shows it. Nice straight rows and then this decided lean to the right, off to the ditch.

Are you saying self driving vehicles can make errors causing damage? Who woulda thunk!

MoKelly

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #74  
I'd like to read about how that works.

You probably might want to think about expanding your views.... Like, change the channel after the kids go to bed ;)

Subsidies for Pollution Control​

Subsidies are forms of financial government support for activities believed to be environmentally friendly. Rather than charging a polluter for emissions, a subsidy rewards a polluter for reducing emissions. Examples of subsidies include grants, low-interest loans, favorable tax treatment, and procurement mandates. Subsidies have been used for a wide variety of purposes, including: brownfield development after a hazardous substance contamination; agricultural grants for erosion control; low-interest loans for small farmers; grants for land conservation; and loans and grants for recycling industrial, commercial and residential products. While subsidies offer incentives to reduce emissions similar to a tax, they also encourage market entry to qualify for the subsidy.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #75  
You probably might want to think about expanding your views.... Like, change the channel after the kids go to bed ;)

I was thinking more along the lines of specific examples of subsidies to manufacturers for developing strategies to meet published emission standards.
Instead I get some ******** response with a link to a dictionary-like definition of terms. I should have expected that.
Enjoy your holiday.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #76  
I tried to search for this, but apparently I can't figure out how to ask the search engine my question.

What was the last year tractor that you could buy a JD tractor and not have these right to repair / software problems? Does it affect all tractors, or just the large ones? Is it just JD, or the other makes as well?

I'm looking at tractors from the 45 to 75HP range, and don't want to be surprised by getting locked out or even remotely neutered when I try and fix something.
From what I can tell, all tier 4's are not equal. After having issues finding a GOOD used tractor in the 65-110hp range I ended up with a new 5 series Duetz. No regeneration, dash will light up with the error code etc and over all it seems pretty simple to work on as long as you don't need to drill the drawbar to make it adjustable. With Ad Blue there is many issues that will throw a code but in most cases it's a simple drain it and throw in some distilled water for a few hours and flush it out. Who would have thought piss would crystalize and plug stuff up! (sarcasm) Some of the new tech on these are nice. As a rookie farmer it has made life easier while learning the driven equipment I'm pulling.
That said, there are ways to "delete" a bit of this crap they add on and jailbreak the system. One my dealer even told me about. Certain European countries didn't fall into the emissions trap and some forward thinking capitalists decide to write some new code for many brands. If you can work on a old tractor, car etc I'd bet you can work on the new ones also. Most people are much more capable than they give themselves credit for.
All that said, new tractors are not cheap these days, nor are used ones. I've had a lot of offers for my 07 NH that are for more than I paid for the thing when it was 2 years old.
A little search you may(?) like.
Good luck finding something. The auctions are a alternative but not a great one....

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #77  
I'd like to read about how that works.
You mean like this one?

National California San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District $3,250,000 Replace 105 agricultural tractors new Tier 4 equipment Agriculture: Tractors (National DERA Awarded Grants | US EPA)

This is a third-party or "research grant" type; eligible for double dipping if the institution or non-profit also kicks back a charitable tax receipt.

There are lots, many that are listed and unlisted publicly.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #78  
Don't know if this sheds any light on problem or not, at least it seems "government"(?) is aware of problem...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...o-have-right-to-repair-own-equipment-kqs66nov

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #80  
All I can say is.... If it's *****, don't expect much and you won't be disappointed
Roll out the Republicans and you would never be able to fix anything without paying someone, nor be able to own tools!

Just as bad.