Wheelbarrow tires going flat

/ Wheelbarrow tires going flat #51  
I'm kind of giving up on small air tires and going to solid where possible. I've done a retrofit on one wheelbarrow and getting ready to do it on another.

Side question .... Anybody using the dual wheeled ones? They look like they'd handle more load, but not corner as well.
Dual wheel is mandatory on hills and wont tip over with an uneven load. Cornering??? It's not a motorcycle. Love mine.

/ Wheelbarrow tires going flat #52  
For your small aired tire application, fill it with expanding foam like great stuff crack and crevice. Done

/ Wheelbarrow tires going flat #53  
Tire slime works pretty good for tube or tubeless small tires in my experiences.

/ Wheelbarrow tires going flat
UPDATE:

I bought a new tube. Installed it, pumped a little air in to seat everything, and all good, so clipped the filler on to the valve stem, held the trigger until the gauge registered 30 psi, then released the trigger.

What happened next was all very quick. I heard a faint hissing, looked at the gauge again and this time it registered 40 psi and rising and then in the blink of an eye ----- BANG!

Wheelbarrow tyre.jpg

Turns out the plunger in the handle of the inflator gizmo wasn't shutting off when the trigger was released, and the air coming from my compressor soon (VERY soon) found the "Do not exceed" pressure! It all happened so fast I didn't even have time to release the clip which held the business end of the delivery hose onto the valve fitting.

The wheelbarrow is now sporting a shiny new solid tire, and some lube on the rubber seals and o-rings in the inflator gizmo solved that problem.

So if you have any tires which need blowing up, I'm your man!

/ Wheelbarrow tires going flat #55  
I'm kind of giving up on small air tires and going to solid where possible. I've done a retrofit on one wheelbarrow and getting ready to do it on another.

Side question .... Anybody using the dual wheeled ones? They look like they'd handle more load, but not corner as well.
They are so nice and can be used with one hand. Very stable but not usable sideway on a slope. I have both.

/ Wheelbarrow tires going flat #56  
   / Wheelbarrow tires going flat #57  
This is my four wheel version made from parts from a similar wheelbarrow that had a broken tub. The rear wheels track the front. The "legs" bolted onto the handles upside down allow me to push it without bending over. It's a bit heavy to dump if I have dirt or stone in it but for most loads of horse manure it's doable. Unless I have some heavy wet muck in it, I can push down on the regular handles and spin it on the rear wheels. The tires with tubes are over 20 years old so I have to air them up now and then.

I made this up after trying my friend's TSC model with ~8 inch rear wheels. Being tall, bending over to push it by the handles did not work for me.

Attachments

• 20221015_150954.jpg
    20221015_150954.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 74
   / Wheelbarrow tires going flat #58  
That blown tire reminds me of my "city boy" friend. Last time I moved, I kept my horses at the place I had sold for a time. I was airing up my wheel barrow tires when my friend asked to use my compressor on his four wheeled cart with the wire sides. Turned out that he did not know how to use my inflator which was one of those that you let off now and then and the gauge pops out. I heard a loud bang! A bit ruffled, he stopped and then another tire blew. He headed for the house. I could not imagine someone not knowing how to air up a tire else I would have helped him.

/ Wheelbarrow tires going flat #59  

I have had a dual wheel, foam filled (can't go flat) tires wheelbarrow for several years now and love it! With my bad back, one off kilter tilt with me trying to prevent the spill can shut me down for several days. With the dual wheels I don't have this problem. The barrow itself is plastic and the when the handles went bad I replaced them with metal handles bought online in a kit from Menards. Very pleased and would not go back to single wheel barrows at all.

/ Wheelbarrow tires going flat #60  
I bought a 13" trailer tire, fit the wheel fine, holds air and is wider, flat at the tread, rolls better.
I'd be worried about how that handled while I'm going fast around a curve.