Wheel seals leaking? need help

/ Wheel seals leaking? need help #1  

livemusic

Tractor
Mahindra 5010
Hello, have a Mahindra 5010. Noticed hydraulic oil around the edge of the rim, one wheel much worse than the other. How does that happen? Would it be common for there to be an axle seal and it's gone bad and is leaking? I think this is a 2014 model, would it be unusual to have a seal go out in ten years? And two of them?

I can't recall if I ascertained that this tractor has a common reservoir for both transmission and the hydraulic system. If you know, advise!

I need to clip a 7 acre pasture, wonder how much would leak out after I fill up the hydraulic fluid! (I have the hardest time reading the dipstick; I actually canNOT read it but I am going to put black magic marker on the dipstick and see if that helps.)

EDIT: This is the rear wheels. Removing the wheels and whatever, is that a hard job, lol? I know I can't do it but I might could find a buddy but if it takes big tools, I doubt I have that. Is this usually an expensive repair at a dealer?

Last edited:
   / Wheel seals leaking? need help #2  
Rear wheels or front wheels? It's more common on the front wheels because of the loader. On the rear can happen too, for sure and seals do go bad over time.

/ Wheel seals leaking? need help
Rear wheels or front wheels? It's more common on the front wheels because of the loader. On the rear can happen too, for sure and seals do go bad over time.

Rear.

What about ten years?

Maybe it's not a bad enough leak such that clipping a 7 acre pasture is not in the cards? I think it's a slow leak.

/ Wheel seals leaking? need help #4  
Rear.

What about ten years?

Maybe it's not a bad enough leak such that clipping a 7 acre pasture is not in the cards? I think it's a slow leak.
It depends on a lot of factors really. Age, hours, how hard it was used. Some fail very early on, others take a lot longer. It happens, it's part of owning a tractor.

On the rears, it's a bit more time consuming than the fronts. It will require to drain the entire transmission, pull the wheels out, pull the entire axle housing out (#2). Then, there might be a big nut (#22) holding the bull gear to the axle. That can be a fight sometimes. Then you can pull the axle (#13) out, so you can access and remove the bearing (#20) and collar (#17), so you can finally replace the seal (#18).

It may be a two piece seal, so hopefully the sealing surface on the axle is not damaged.

1710368484297.png

/ Wheel seals leaking? need help
Thanks for your reply. That repair is likely not for me to do or participate in, will have to go to the dealer.

Still hoping I can clip my pasture without a clip-killer leak!

Last edited: