What's your bottom dollar?

/ What's your bottom dollar? #1  

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
Regarding selling used stuff online. Is this some kind of Millennial thing? I don't recall 20 years ago people saying whats your bottom dollar? or what's the lowest price you will take? That would be like negotiating against myself. I would say 99% the people that pull that are not going to buy it. If you say firm, it seems to weird a lot of people out. I'm dealing with three people today and all just want a steal. It's like they are too lazy to go look at an item and wave some cash. That's when the deal starts for me and they then have some skin in the game. Or they just want to trade. My thoughts are I'm getting rid of stuff, I don't need more stuff Apparently all the musicians in this area are broke and just want to trade gear. Whew, had to rant again about online selling.

/ What's your bottom dollar? #2  
Regarding selling used stuff online. Is this some kind of Millennial thing? I don't recall 20 years ago people saying whats your bottom dollar? or what's the lowest price you will take? That would be like negotiating against myself. I would say 99% the people that pull that are not going to buy it. If you say firm, it seems to weird a lot of people out. I'm dealing with three people today and all just want a steal. It's like they are too lazy to go look at an item and wave some cash. That's when the deal starts for me and they then have some skin in the game. Or they just want to trade. My thoughts are I'm getting rid of stuff, I don't need more stuff Apparently all the musicians in this area are broke and just want to trade gear. Whew, had to rant again about online selling.

lol I have a 20 ft trailer listed for sale. One guy just messaged me and said. ''Let me know what someone offers you for the trailer. I might just beat their price ''! LMBO ! Yeah, I'm gonna notify you.. hold your breath

/ What's your bottom dollar? #3  
Back in the 80s, I was interested in becoming a better negotiator, and I did some training. The idea of someone directly asking for your lowest price was around back then, so I don't think it's a millennium thing. IIRC, the standard answer was to inform the buying that you aren't trying to sell it for the lowest price and request that they make an offer.

Since that time, I've become less and less patient with the whole negotiating process, and I avoid it as much as possible. I gave my last old car to a family member, rather than going through the hassle of selling it myself.

/ What's your bottom dollar? #4  
Reply that you only negotiate in person. It’s sport to many.

/ What's your bottom dollar? #5  
I have to drive a minimum hour round trip, typically more like two hours plus (an hour or more each way), for most things on my "local" Craigslist.

I don't make a drive like that to dick around over price; I negotiate before traveling with the understanding that if the item isn't as described, I'll immediately leave.

So far I'm 100% with this, and it includes having flown a thousand to buy a car.

/ What's your bottom dollar? #6  
I have to drive a minimum hour round trip, typically more like two hours plus (an hour or more each way), for most things on my "local" Craigslist.

I don't make a drive like that to dick around over price; I negotiate before traveling with the understanding that if the item isn't as described, I'll immediately leave.

So far I'm 100% with this, and it includes having flown a thousand to buy a car.

Same here. I’m not wasting time and money driving around when we could have already agreed on the most important part already. If someone wants to be a PITA about it then fine, I probably didn’t need it anyway.

/ What's your bottom dollar? #7  
If by "selling stuff online",you mean Craigslist,there's no good answers. 50% are phishing for email addys and phone #s,10% do it strictly for intertainment,10% are auctions looking for steals to turn a profit,10% intend to screw you out of it for nothing. It's not unusual for a few of remaining 20% to "horse trade". My usual responses are. Show me 3 others like it for sale cheaper and we will negotiate. Exactly why do you think I should sell it cheaper than I've listed it for? My favorite when they ask before laying eyes on it,"if I say yes to your offer,will you pay me when you get here and before seeing it"? For those that ask for "pitchers" or "more pitchers" of things like 4'x8'x1/2" drywall,20' of 3/8" #43 log chain with grab hooks or new set of .30 over pistons for 5.7L chevy. I don't even respond.
My late brother laughed and razzed me for 20 years over selling an old dirt bike. I bought it not running from a neighbor whose son had left it behind when he married. A little tinkering and it was running so I sat it out with a $50 for sale sign. Guy stopped,test drove it and offered $40. I refused and he left. Couple hours later he came back with $50 in hand. Meanwhile my brother had came over to sip some brews. When the guy walked up he said" the bike is over priced but I'll buy it." When he held out the money I told him "if you think $50 is over priced,you will consider $60 highway robbery but that's what I'm asking now." After turning red and lecturing me on the reasons I couldn't go up after telling him $50,I told him "the **** I can't,I just did.". The guy turned and went to his truck cursing with every step. After sitting in the truck a few minutes,he got out and headed my way shaking his head. Before he had a chance to speak,I said"the bike is now $75 take it or leave it and I'm not saying what I might want tomorrow". The guy silently stared for a few seconds,laughed and said "i'll take it" then handed over $75. My brother never allowed me to forget it and took great pleasure in telling friends about his greedy brother.

/ What's your bottom dollar? #8  
"Can you take less for it ?"

I can afford to give it away if you can convince me of your need for charity.

/ What's your bottom dollar?
This is something I have on FB Marketplace. CL has become useless around here. The last guy made an offer and lives about 70 miles away so I understand wanting to lock in a price but come on dude you're not even serious. I did get him to make an offer 500 which others had beat him to that low ball. He upped another 50 when i told him that. It's a Honda inverter generator and if i could have found one for 500 I would have bought it to parallel with this one to run camper A/C in the rare times I need it boondocking. I saw one maybe 200 miles away for upper 500's and it looked like they had pulled it out of a landfill.

/ What's your bottom dollar? #10  
I advertised my first rear blade on Craig's list. The guy who bought it said - "what's the lowest you will take for the rear blade". Looked him straight in the eye and said - "I advertised it for $950 and $950 is what I will take for it". He paid the $950 and departed happy. I have no time for this happy BS or negotiations. Take it or leave.

Next time I sell something and some dumb idiot asks this question, my answer will be - - "Well, since you asked, the price is now $1050". "Want to ask again?"

Good used implements are as scarce as hen's teeth around here. The fellow who bought it and I both knew that. I had it sold within 30 minuets after it show up on Craig's list.