Whats wrong with my Land plane build?

/ Whats wrong with my Land plane build? #11  
Looks to me like this kind of design that has more length to it would be better for attaining a smooth finish.
While this design might work better for a smooth finish, I can't see how it would be able to leave the crown in a road, unless it requires that it be used in conjunction with other means that mechanically tilt it.
Just my observations, be nice to know if it will actually crown a road.
David from jax

/ Whats wrong with my Land plane build? #12  
IMHO you would tilt it run up one side and down the other
the high ridge would be centered

willy

/ Whats wrong with my Land plane build? #13  
Mine works best when I adjust the top link so that both blades are carrying the same amount of material. Sod does cause trouble and may take several passes to break it up. Try adding some weight. Cutting edges will help too. I have never worked with material quite that loose but on mine speed is a big factor on how it flows.

gg

/ Whats wrong with my Land plane build? #14  
I believe the top link mount on the implement is way too short. I would weld a taller mount so the angle down is not so aggressive. The way it is now I could see the back tilting up and bending your top link or your PTO cover even more than it is now.

Something like this angle would work much better and allow you to adjust the back blade down.

IMG_1771.jpeg

/ Whats wrong with my Land plane build? #15  
Had someone build a land plane for me that doesn't seem to be working correctly and I'm wondering if it's the build. I can't seem to get it to adjust correctly to have material flow correctly, it doesnt give smooth finish on dirt and it just piles up. Is something wrong with design? And if so any specfics details to pass onto my welder would be much appreciated. View attachment 809789View attachment 809790View attachment 809791
Maybe the only thing wrong is an adjustment on the top link. Try raising the front a tad.
Grader blades could be added for some longevity, however, welding in replacement angle isn’t that tough.

/ Whats wrong with my Land plane build? #16  
Those things really arent made to "level" non-uniform material....like your mix of dirt, and grass clumps.
❓ Then why name it a “land plane”?

/ Whats wrong with my Land plane build? #17  

I don’t know because this is what I know as a land plane and was used to level fields. I spent many of days using one just like this on the farm.

1688817347443.jpeg

/ Whats wrong with my Land plane build? #18  
I don’t know because this is what I know as a land plane and was used to level fields. I spent many of days using one just like this on theLand leveler in picture
that’s a land leveler o_O Tough to use in modern neighborhoods 😁

/ Whats wrong with my Land plane build? #19  
Good question....I would expect with a name like that for it to have wings and be capable of flight.

/ Whats wrong with my Land plane build? #20  
As others mentioned, the blade should protrude below the sides. Easiest solution would be to add cutter to the front blade. In its current configuration it appears to be limited to knocking off high spots.

Lots of vegetation shown. I'd York rake that stuff away to be able to work with the dirt/gravel.

A chain might work better than a toplink. The lift arms will allow adjustment of the aggressiveness of cut. Raising it slightly lets it deposit material and smooth it out.

There are several threads on here with examples of home made land planes. See link below. Look around and experiment.

Last edited: