What's the valve right under the seat?

/ What's the valve right under the seat? #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
I was just wondering what the valve right under the seat in the middle does on my YM1401D.

It looks like one that you should be able to turn with your hands, but I had to put pliers on it in order to turn it. What exactly is its function?

/ What's the valve right under the seat? #2  
Hey dieselfuel, I believe I can answer that one. On my F16D it controls the rate of flow of hydraulic fluid. One way slows and the other opens it up for a faster flow. Allows you to control the rate at which your 3pt implement drops. Also can lock the hydraulics in a certain position.

/ What's the valve right under the seat? #3  
Dieselfuelonly,

If it's anything like my Dad's JD650 (Yanmar), it is a restrictor valve for heating the hydraulic fluid... move the valve towards closed, and the pump forcing the fluid through the restriction heats the fluid.

It's been a LONG time though since I've read the OM for that tractor though... but that's what I remember...

On Dad's 650, the drop speed adjustment is also under the seat, but it's a little 1 1/2" long lever on the left side of the 3PH control valve.

/ What's the valve right under the seat?
Thanks, thats what I figured, the 3pt hitch seemed to behave a little bit differently. When I have the bush hog on the back which can be pretty heavy, it will drop pretty fast, so I may try to slow it down a little.

Thanks guys!

/ What's the valve right under the seat? #5  
dieselfuelonly said:
I was just wondering what the valve right under the seat in the middle does on my YM1401D.

It looks like one that you should be able to turn with your hands, but I had to put pliers on it in order to turn it. What exactly is its function?

If it's the one that sort of looks like a water faucet handle, it's function is as a safety lock for the 3pt. Turned to the right, like closing a water faucet, it blocks flow out of the 3pt hydraulics and locks the lift arms in there present position.

It MAY also function as drop rate control valve. If there is a small valve under the right side of the seat (as you sit in it) that looks a short cylinder with a lever through it, that is the drop rate control valve. If your's has this valve, and some models don't, you should use it to control 3pt drop rate and leave the "water faucet" fully open during 3pt operations. And, yes, you should be able to turn it by hand.