What's going on with fuel additive?

/ What's going on with fuel additive? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
When I bought my 1980 Yanmar YM2310 tractor I was advised that using a fuel additive like Power Service Diesel Kleen would be a good idea. So I bought some and my old tractor did start easier and seemed to smoke less. Well, I finally ran out of that quart of Diesel Kleen and there seemed to be no difference. But after a couple months of not using the stuff my tractor definitely smokes more. Not that it smokes a lot, but that it seems to be smoking now. My son noticed it too. I have ordered more Diesel Kleen and will start using it again but I am wondering what is going on? Why would my tractor start smoking more? Or at least having more visible smoke?
Thanks,
eric

/ What's going on with fuel additive? #2  
When I bought my 1980 Yanmar YM2310 tractor I was advised that using a fuel additive like Power Service Diesel Kleen would be a good idea. So I bought some and my old tractor did start easier and seemed to smoke less. Well, I finally ran out of that quart of Diesel Kleen and there seemed to be no difference. But after a couple months of not using the stuff my tractor definitely smokes more. Not that it smokes a lot, but that it seems to be smoking now. My son noticed it too. I have ordered more Diesel Kleen and will start using it again but I am wondering what is going on? Why would my tractor start smoking more? Or at least having more visible smoke?
Thanks,
eric
Eric,
Run for da hills and never look back using the crappy Power Service Diesel Kleen crap.

All I ever use is Seafoam or Gumut Multi-System. Both work superior over the PowerServe products. In fact Seafoam was the main go to for decades long before PS was even around.

Seafoam-tractor.jpg

/ What's going on with fuel additive? #3  
While I can't say what is happening with your tractor, I have used diesel kleen for 18 years on my diesel truck and it has been great. Injectors have been problem free, oil changes are regular, everything has been clean.

/ What's going on with fuel additive? #4  
once you decide on a conditioner, ensure your fuel source is reliable & high volume. it also sounds as if your injectors could use a service. someone else can suggest how regards
am sure you're up to speed on fuel & air filters. regards

/ What's going on with fuel additive? #5  
Eric,
Run for da hills and never look back using the crappy Power Service Diesel Kleen crap.

All I ever use is Seafoam or Gumut Multi-System. Both work superior over the PowerServe products. In fact Seafoam was the main go to for decades long before PS was even around.

View attachment 820610
Don't knock that which you are totally ignorant about! Both products have their place in my shop!

/ What's going on with fuel additive? #6  
Don't knock that which you are totally ignorant about! Both products have their place in my shop!
I guess loving the Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost products low on the list means you are smarter than ignorant. hmmm
Power Service Diesel does in fact boost the cetane, however it does not contain any water-control ingredients. Water control is a huge concern in diesels as it's the bacterial growth enhancer to convert diesel into sludge useless waste.
Power Service Diesel Kleen does Mileage improvement, Cleans injectors, Increases cetane, Lubricity, Stabilizes fuel just like Seafoam and Gumout Multi-System Tune-Up. It just laks the moisture/water control for a complete product as Seafoam and Gumout Multi-System Tune-Up both have.

Currently the standards since 2017 are the lastest,
https://www.toptiergas.com/wp-conte...Fuel_Performance_Standard_Rev_A_-_Feb2017.pdf
See this section in the standard, 4.2.4 Water Contamination in Fuel.

If we want a complete all around product, Opti-Lube XPD would be the preferred product, if you can find it. I had it once locally as it was offered by Jiffy-Lube, its the top product. Worked wonderful. Now I cannot find it post-coved 2020 unless I ask for it at a Ford dealer parts counter with their mark-up. Really bummed.

/ What's going on with fuel additive? #8  
Google found your Opti-lube XPD easily. $65 to $85 @ gallon
I like to get it localled in 8oz and 16oz bottles. This way it's very affordable.