What's a good tabletop bandsaw to buy for wood?

/ What's a good tabletop bandsaw to buy for wood? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I want to buy a tabletop bandsaw to use for sawing out small pieces of fancy wood and things like that. I've had bigger floor models before and don't want that. Just something for the table top.

The trouble is, there are too many choices with confusing and questionable reviews. After a few days of searching, I am no further than when I started. Below is one I'm looking at from Lowes but I have no reference if good or not. Only half the people recommend it. Any advice on a table top bandsaw?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shop-Serie...tol-_-4632376-_-roas-_-netmining-_-0-_-0-_-0&

/ What's a good tabletop bandsaw to buy for wood? #2  
I had a table top bandsaw once. It was nothing but frustration. Lift weight and dinky and the guides really sucked. I think you’d be happier with a 14” bandsaw.

/ What's a good tabletop bandsaw to buy for wood? #3  
I recently went through this with my son in law. After considering and inspecting and rejecting many small saws, he was reluctant to make a purchase. I located a 14" Grizzly used on CL about an hour from his home. So he got that barely-used saw for about 1/2 price of a new one, and is very happy.

The small saws no matter what brand seem to have troubles with adjustment and straight cutting.

Years ago I had a big heavy Delta scroll saw that was very accurate for intricate work but extremely slow. Depending on what you have in mind, one of those, used, might be an alternative to the small bandsaws. It was suitable for mounting benchtop,

/ What's a good tabletop bandsaw to buy for wood? #4  
Once you have had a decent floor model bandsaw, you won't ever be happy with a table top model!!

I'd rather have a high quality saber saw, (read Bosch) than a table top band saw...

SR

/ What's a good tabletop bandsaw to buy for wood? #5  
Depending on how small the pieces and how intricate the cuts you may wish to consider a scroll saw.

/ What's a good tabletop bandsaw to buy for wood?
Depending on how small the pieces and how intricate the cuts you may wish to consider a scroll saw.

Not that small.
Considering replies am thinking I should look for a used Delta-or similar- floor model. Trouble is, I had a much bigger (18"?) stationary saw and never used it enough to justify keeping it. I figured a table model would fit the few times a year I would use it for squaring up chunks of wood into rough dimensions.

/ What's a good tabletop bandsaw to buy for wood? #7  
Depending on the size of the wood would a reciprocating saw work?

/ What's a good tabletop bandsaw to buy for wood? #8  
I have a 14" Jet. It's a floor mount model. It accurate enough to cut exotic woods for small music boxes. I've used it for many years to make many dozens of music boxes and small wooden children's toys. It has a very fine tooth wood cutting blade. Other acceptable brands - Rikon, Laguna & Grizzly. Some of the models get VERY pricy.

My Jet was about $600 - fifteen years ago.

/ What's a good tabletop bandsaw to buy for wood?
Depending on the size of the wood would a reciprocating saw work?

I don't think it would allow me enough control over a burl the side of a big softball. Lots to think about here.

/ What's a good tabletop bandsaw to buy for wood? #10  
Just an opinion... IMHO... table top band saw are no worth the frustration to get a straight cut.
Depending on what you are cutting, something not so important, then you may get by but I tried three of them, different brands and they all failed.

I looked for and found an older Delta Band Saw, all metal, 18" I think, and have not been happier. I modified it to cut metal, thinner pieces, but it works. I very seldom cut word on it but with a change of blades I could.

Check the reviews other than with Lowes or Home Depot, I think it will be an eye opener.

Also, to get straight cut on any Band Saw, when cutting thicker pieces, wood or metal, you should use a good quality fence; there is nothing like having a strong well build fence to support your work.