What you all use for tomato cages?

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #11  
We just do it like this, when growing small quantities:

IMG_20220527_183017.jpg

A couple of wild canes (similar to sugar canes) as we have loads of that everywhere and just some twine to tie the tomatoes up.

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #12  
I use a cable strung between two fence posts and tie the tomato plants up with baling twine.

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #13  
When I built gates, we would have lots of rems from truss rods, which was galvanized rod about 3\8". I'd bring home a bunch of that and made a fixture, cut a bunch of parts and made some of these triangle ones. Not the prettiest things, but they nest for off season storage and will probably last for longer than I'll need them.
100_1275.jpg

• Good Post
Reactions: jmc
   / What you all use for tomato cages? #14  
I made some from concrete reinforcing mesh and they lasted for years. What I didn't like was that the rusted wire surface was abrasive to the plant limbs, swaying against it in the breeze.

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #15  
Hi All,

I use concrete reinforcing wire for my tomato cages. Works really well, but it sucks cutting and working with a roll of that stuff. Just wondering what ingenuous ideas others have come up with.

Thanks
Dave
I built mine from concrete reinforcing wire. Then I made 4’ support stakes by bending a hook on top of 1/2” rebar

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #16  
Been re-using the same poor quality tomato cages for a few years, lol.
Same here. They do the job. I'll also stake them, since my plants tend to turn into trees. The cages do help contain them somewhat.

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #17  
I've used wood stakes with cross pieces screwed to the stakes at intervals.

I plan to use left over fixed knot fencing this year.

I've done containers in 5 gallon pots hung high in the air with holes in the bottom for the plants to grow out through. Interesting thing about hanging them high is fewer bugs and the aphids can't find them. Works best with an automatic watering system.

Sure those are tomatoes? Lol

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #19  
I bought some tomato cages at K-mart many years ago that I still use. They are made of pretty stiff wire and nest together for storage.

I've looked for more like them, but all the ones I've found lately are made of thinner wire. The thinner ones end up bending over with my plants when they are in full growth, and I'd rate the newer cages as worthless.

Fence wire works pretty well in terms of giving support, but isn't good for storage because it doesn't nest like a cage.

Cattle panels give good support and can be stored flat together.

/ What you all use for tomato cages? #20  
This year we plan on using an IBC frame, should be good for peas and beans too, when finished just lift it out with the forks and clean it up.