What would you do to prepare to horde & store a few years worth of diesel?

/ What would you do to prepare to horde & store a few years worth of diesel? #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I recently got a killer deal for a 500 gallon tank on a tower. I'm planning on speculating that fuel prices are going to bottom out or at least end up really low this fall.

My current 55 gallon drum has lasted me a while, maybe since last fall, but the pump is leaking a little & I really want a decent stash of fuel on hand, hence me getting the big tank. My inner prepper wants enough to be able to run my tractor (PTO generator) for a good while if bad things happen (big snow to zombie apocalypse). Not to mention the fact I'm expecting fuel prices to bottom out for a while once Iran floods the market.

I currently treat my fuel with white bottle power service & haven't had any gelling issues (think it was fall/winter blend as I live in Colorado & got it in the fall). I plow a bit in the winter in the 10 degree F range, but it's not critical & getting stranded with gelled fuel would be annoying but not the end of the world.

I'm planning on getting a winter blend if possible, or dosing it with some power service white bottle. Additionally I plan on dumping in some PRI-D fuel stabilizer as that seems to have the best reviews. I haven't decided if I'll preemptively dose it with biocide. Iv'e got a see through filter & water blocking filter ready to install (I'm assuming the normal filter first followed by the water blocking filter). I have a vent cap to stick up on top, its one of the ones that keeps a bit of pressure in the tank to minimize air flow due to thermal cycling to minimize the possibility of getting condensation & water in the tank. Fuel treatments seem to be $30 a bottle for 500 gallons, or about $0.18 a gallon if I use all 3. I expect that will be cheaper than other options if I'm smart (or more likely lucky) on the market bottoming out.

The tank has the main port on the side in front & a small one on the bottom in the back. Currently the tower/tank is sitting in front of my shop on the concrete pad that slopes away from the stop with the main port on the downhill side. Should I leave it like that so any water will come out of the tank & into the water blocking filter? Or should I put some kind of valve on the bottom port in back & tilt it so the front is a little higher & occasionally try to drain off any water than might accumulate.

What would you guys do or recommend if you were going to speculate on & horde a couple years worth of fuel? :confused:

Last edited:
   / What would you do to prepare to horde & store a few years worth of diesel? #2  
My thoughts:

I hear people often talk about getting a diesel truck because they get better fuel mileage. They wind up paying $5000 extra for the diesel engine and another $1000 extra for a diesel transmission. An oil change is typically close to $100, verses $25 for a gasoline engine.

They then get 2 to 5 MPG better than they would get with a gasoline engine.

Then they trade those trucks in after 2 - 5 years on something newer.

If they'd have bought a gasoline powered vehicle to start with, they probably would have saved more money.

If you need to pull something, that's different. A diesel engine has a much broader torque curve than a gasoline engine.

My point is: How much are you going to save by stocking up on diesel? How much is that tank going to cost? What's it going to cost to have it mounted up?

If you just want to do it because you want to do it, that's a whole different matter.

Just food for thought.

/ What would you do to prepare to horde & store a few years worth of diesel?
I bought the tank, the tower & a single stage hydraulic SSQA snow blower for $250. As I can probably sell the snow blower for around $400 after spending a few hours fixing it up, the tank was essentially free. I probably bought $100 worth of filters, hoses & nozzles for it. Mounting it involves a couple minutes & my pallet forks.

I only have a diesel tractor. My farm truck is a gasser (some day I want to get a nicer newer diesel one rather than the beater I have now), so this is only about tractor fuel. I'm debating between dyed (tax free) & normal road diesel (you can get the taxes back if you use road diesel off road with IRS Form 4136) to facilitate usage in some future diesel vehicle, but that's not a big concern. Serveral studies have found that overall diesel trucks are more economical to own & run than gassers anyway. Jan. 27: New CMU Study Finds Diesel Vehicles a Better Value Despite Higher Price Tag - Carnegie Mellon University & http://www.dieselforum.org/files/dmfile/20130311_cd_umtritcofinalreport_dd2017.pdf

I'm only partially doing this speculating on fuel prices. I've been wanting a good supply of fuel on hand for emergency usage for a while, so that in & of itself is enough reason for me. I'm finally getting around to it as I found the great deal on the tank & it looks like prices will be dropping significantly here towards the end of the year. So, I am going to do it. Just looking for input on the best way to store & manage it.

/ What would you do to prepare to horde & store a few years worth of diesel? #4  
Keep water out of it and algae from growing in it and it will last indefinitely.
Like anything else, if you can protect the tank from the elements (keep it under cover) the better.

/ What would you do to prepare to horde & store a few years worth of diesel? #5  
I think that you have thought thru things pretty well. I would probably do the tilt back thing and drain water once in a while. That much diesel would last me a long time.

/ What would you do to prepare to horde & store a few years worth of diesel? #6  
Try to get a pet-cock (spelling?) installed, and tilt the tank a tiny bit so that the pet-cock is at the lowest point. Since diesel floats on water, you can drain the water out easily if you do get water inside.

/ What would you do to prepare to horde & store a few years worth of diesel? #7  
Keep it full, maybe make some provision aside from venting to allow for expansion. Keep it out of the sun.

As for the other post about Diesels. Some people have their vetts or chargers. I happen to like a Diesel, have a Duramax and have never really pulled anything with it. Not everything has to make sense.

/ What would you do to prepare to horde & store a few years worth of diesel? #8  
What would you guys do or recommend if you were going to speculate on & horde a couple years worth of fuel?

I would invest in an Energy Mutual Fund. Vanguard is usually the lowest cost. I also favor T. Rowe Price Funds.

VANGUARD ENERGY FUND
Fund facts
This actively managed fund offers investors low-cost exposure to U.S. and non-U.S. companies that are engaged in various aspects of the energy business. Unlike similar funds, which may invest in companies that explore for and distribute additional commodities, this fund focuses purely on energy, such as oil, natural gas, and coal. The fund is narrow in scope, investing solely within the energy sector. In addition, the fund may be invested up to 100% in foreign securities, which can be more volatile than domestic holdings. Returns may vary widely from year-to-year, so this fund may be considered complementary to an already diversified portfolio with a long-term time horizon.

LINK: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0051&FundIntExt=INT

/ What would you do to prepare to horde & store a few years worth of diesel?
I would invest in an Energy Mutual Fund. Vanguard is usually the lowest cost. I also favor T. Rowe Price Funds.

VANGUARD ENERGY FUND
Fund facts
This actively managed fund offers investors low-cost exposure to U.S. and non-U.S. companies that are engaged in various aspects of the energy business. Unlike similar funds, which may invest in companies that explore for and distribute additional commodities, this fund focuses purely on energy, such as oil, natural gas, and coal. The fund is narrow in scope, investing solely within the energy sector. In addition, the fund may be invested up to 100% in foreign securities, which can be more volatile than domestic holdings. Returns may vary widely from year-to-year, so this fund may be considered complementary to an already diversified portfolio with a long-term time horizon.

LINK: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0051&FundIntExt=INT

Kind of hard to access that diesel in an emergency situation though. :p

/ What would you do to prepare to horde & store a few years worth of diesel? #10  
My only experience with longterm diesel storage is on a sailboat -- small quantities but long term because you don't use much. We always treated it with biocide. Gelling wasn't an issue because, you know, you don't sail when it's freezing outside.