What were your best "Macgyver fixes"?

/ What were your best "Macgyver fixes"? #21  
Driving my service truck across east OR in the middle of the night, and no traffic. The fuel gauge was on the fritz so I ran out of gas out in nowhere 50 miles from any thing. Scrtached my head a little plus another location. Hooked up the O/A welding outfit and stuck the Acet hose in the carb. Started at real low flow and tried to start up, it worked, ran fine. Set the O/A set wher I could reach the regulator handle. Started up again and controlled engine speed with the regulator. Afraid to get going too fast so limped along at 30 MPH to the next town.

I am not sure I did a very safe thing, it could have all blown up on me. My guardian angle was stronger than Ole Man Murphy that night.

Ron
Wow!!!

/ What were your best "Macgyver fixes"? #22  
I worked w/ a fella that was C H E A P.!!! REAL CHEAP.. so cheap he only had 1 lite bulb in his house.. & took it from room to room.!!
He drove an old Chrysler K car..
1 day the windshield wiper motor went out during the rainy season..
He tied a small bungee to 1 side of the wiper [passenger} & hooked shoestring to the other[driver side]..
He would pull the shoestring & the bungee would pull it back..
He drove it THAT WAY for YEARS.!!!

Same fella, same car.. the battery died & would only hold a charge for a very short while..
He MOUNTED a small battery charger UNDER THE HOOD & would plug it in EVERY NIGHT when he got home..

What kinda of funny is.. his Dad died & the guy became an instant millionaire w/ 7-8 figures in his bank account,
and STILL lives the same way.!! EVERYTHING he owns is duct taped or wired together.. Lol

/ What were your best "Macgyver fixes"? #23  
I was driving a Chevy 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive on a short cut across the Saudi Arabia desert when the front drive shaft came loose from the front differential. I had no tools, the 2 way radio telephone in the truck was out of range of a tower and I was in a fix. I couldn't drive it with the drive shaft hanging down and I couldn't remove it. I was stranded 20 km or more from the closest help. I started looking around for something that I could use to hold up the driveshaft and low and behold, I found a wire clothes hanger. NOW what were the odds of finding a wire clothes hanger in the middle of the desert with nothing, absolutely nothing within 20 km of there.

The hanger was just perfect for what I needed so I carefully aligned the shaft so it would run straight, then backed up a slight rise to get a running start. I decided that I better lower the air pressure in my tires for better flotation in the soft desert sand before getting started. After that it was hit or miss as to whether I could get thru the soft sand to the construction site about 20Km away.

So except for one spot where I hit some sugar sand and almost got stuck, I made it all the way back to the mechanic shop.

Another time taking the approximately same route, my truck engine started overheating due to a sticking thermostat. I could run about a mile and have to stop, let it cool then add some water and go another mile or so. Finally I ran out of water from my 5 gallon water can(we all had to carry that much with us daily to keep hydrated). My life must have been charmed back then because, suddenly after topping a hill, I came upon an Aramco water well that had a small shallow pond of water standing around it. I was able to use my hard hat to scoop up water to refill my 5 gallon cooler and refill the radiator. Using this, I again made it back to the mechanic shop. Man they issued me the worst of the worst company trucks to drive. In the 4 months I was there, I went thru 23 changes of vehicles due to mechanical failure of some sort (sometime I was getting back the same truck again).

/ What were your best "Macgyver fixes"? #24  
I once made a resistor to knock down the voltage on an electric fence application out of a coffee can...

I did not want to take the risk of harming any wildlife or pets when I was using a fence charger to keep animals out of a small garden area...

I soldered a wire to the outside of a coffee can...I soldered a small strip of copper flashing to another wire and ran the wire though a small hole I had punched in the plastic snap on lid...it held the copper strip suspended in the center of the can...
...I filled the can with water...initially the voltage was still a bit too high so I replaced the water with distilled water (made a big difference from the high mineral spring water I started with)...it worked perfectly knocking down the voltage to a level that was just enough to deter pets etc...