Silver Member
Using the Ford table, with a ......2015

CREWCAB
F-350
SRW
4x4
6.7L V8
Turbo Diesel

1) What is the maximum legal trailer weight for conventional towing (14'000 lbs) with weight distribution?!

2) What is the maximum legal trailer weight for fifth wheel/gooseneck (15'700 lbs) ?!

3) I realize that the tongue weight for conventional towing is 10-15% of trailer weight! and 15-25% for fifth wheel towing. That being said, does that mean that I can actually pull trailers heavier than the "maximum loaded trailer weights", since 10-15/15-25% of the weight is transferred to the truck?!

4) What would be my new "maximum loaded trailer weights" that I could then legally tow?!

image-726623650.jpg

/ What weight can my truck legally pull? #2  
That's the way I see it. Does it come with a class V hitch installed? I'd think it would take a class V hitch for a bumper pull.

To answer your question I see the 14,000 and 15,700 numbers.

/ What weight can my truck legally pull? #3  
I think it comes down to,,,, while on the "portable scales" on the side of the road with the local DOT, your door "plate" numbers (gvwr, gcwr, gawr) along with the registration(s) showing that you paid for the weight on your rig. Not so much any automakers sales literature.
(edit) along with tires matching the door plate on the truck and trailer tires with the combined total of all tires equaling or greater than the (loaded) trailer weight. If they want ya', they'll get ya! Of course this go's on & on with the proper "class" DL, fire extinguisher, "triangles", spare fuse's, DOT number displayed, bla, bla, bla…………...

/ What weight can my truck legally pull? #4  
Correct. Your trucks GCWR is 23,500. The tow rating is obtained by subtracting the trucks empty weight from that value. So they obtained 15,700# by taking the trucks weight of 7,800# from its GCWR.

The 14,000# BP rating is obtained by what the manufacturer deems safe.

Chris

/ What weight can my truck legally pull?
Thank you "Dodge Man", "RustyIron", and "DiamondPilot".

Yes it is a Class V hitch (2.5") rated at 19'000 lbs and 1'900 lbs weight on hitch.

To "DiamondPilot",

1) I am wrong then in my calculations to take 15,700 x 0.25 (percentage max for fifth wheel weight on Kingpin) = 3'925 lbs,

and ad the original 15,700 for a maximum of 19,625 lbs of trailer loaded weight, since I would exceed GCWR ?!

2) I also could not used this calculation method for conventional towing, correct ?!

3) When is this method of calculation used ?!

/ What weight can my truck legally pull? #6  

CREWCAB
F-350
SRW
4x4
6.7L V8
Turbo Diesel

1) What is the maximum legal trailer weight for conventional towing (14'000 lbs) with weight distribution?!

2) What is the maximum legal trailer weight for fifth wheel/gooseneck (15'700 lbs) ?!

3) I realize that the tongue weight for conventional towing is 10-15% of trailer weight! and 15-25% for fifth wheel towing. That being said, does that mean that I can actually pull trailers heavier than the "maximum loaded trailer weights", since 10-15/15-25% of the weight is transferred to the truck?!

4) What would be my new "maximum loaded trailer weights" that I could then legally tow?!

View attachment 404447

I just looked at an F350 Lariat CC, 4x4, standard bed, 6.7PS, SRW as a possible tug for a fifth wheel. The one thing these published charts typically do not show is a configured truck's maximum payload numbers. When I am out looking, I take a picture of the manufacture's placard that states this number. The Ford's I've looked at to date are light compared to the RAM or GM 3500 offerings. To get the payload needed for a fifth wheel I need to move up to a F450 which only comes with DRW, an option I do not want. Here are the placards of the F350 I looked at;

2014-12-10 13.29.29.jpg2014-12-10 13.28.53.jpg2014-12-10 13.29.15.jpg

The placards numbers would say no to your 5th wheel and a bumper mount trailer would be pushing the maximum payload number. It seems to me the 2500 offerings and Ford's 3500 can pull weight but can't take much of the tongue or fifth wheel weight. If I am reading something wrong please advise.

/ What weight can my truck legally pull? #7  
1) I am wrong then in my calculations to take 15,700 x 0.25 (percentage max for fifth wheel weight on Kingpin) = 3'925 lbs,

and ad the original 15,700 for a maximum of 19,625 lbs of trailer loaded weight, since I would exceed GCWR ?!

2) I also could not used this calculation method for conventional towing, correct ?!

3) When is this method of calculation used ?!

1 - You are calculating the pin weight of the fifth wheel and this number is not used to calculate the GCWR, it is used against the vehicle's maximum payload (driver door's placard). The GCWR is the number a scale would show for the truck and trailer, loaded, as being driven. You want the GCWR to be lower than the GVWR which is the number the manufacture states as being the maximum weight of the vehicle loaded and what ever it is towing.

/ What weight can my truck legally pull? #8  

CREWCAB
F-350
SRW
4x4
6.7L V8
Turbo Diesel

View attachment 404447
Depends on the State you are in and the state of the LEO's mind.

"Tongue weight" comes into play for determining if the weight ON your trailer is at or below mfg ratings.
I have a 12k rated trailer, the trailer weighs 2K, I can put 10K on the trailer.

According to this article different states interpret trailer loading differently as long as you don't exceed the axle rating.

Payload capacity is then determined by one of these two formulas:

GVWR - Trailer Weight = Payload Capacity

or

GVWR - Trailer Weight + Tongue Transfer = Payload Capacity

- See more at: Understand Your Trailer Gross Vehicle Weight Rating | Construction Business Owner Magazine
So in the first case my trailer capacity would be 12,000 lbs - 2,000 lbs = 10,000 lbs being towed ON the trailer
in the second case, if I put 15% on the tongue it would be 12,000 - 2,000 lbs + 1,764 lbs = 11,764 pounds being towed ON the trailer.
IF I only put 10% on the tongue the second case would end up with a smaller load.

/ What weight can my truck legally pull? #9  
Thank you "Dodge Man", "RustyIron", and "DiamondPilot". Yes it is a Class V hitch (2.5") rated at 19'000 lbs and 1'900 lbs weight on hitch. To "DiamondPilot", 1) I am wrong then in my calculations to take 15,700 x 0.25 (percentage max for fifth wheel weight on Kingpin) = 3'925 lbs, and ad the original 15,700 for a maximum of 19,625 lbs of trailer loaded weight, since I would exceed GCWR ?! 2) I also could not used this calculation method for conventional towing, correct ?! 3) When is this method of calculation used ?!

Yes, can't do that. Max GCWR is an absolute max but you must also no exceed the trucks GVWR, any individual axle, or tires.

Chris

/ What weight can my truck legally pull? #10  
I just looked at an F350 Lariat CC, 4x4, standard bed, 6.7PS, SRW as a possible tug for a fifth wheel. The one thing these published charts typically do not show is a configured truck's maximum payload numbers. When I am out looking, I take a picture of the manufacture's placard that states this number. The Ford's I've looked at to date are light compared to the RAM or GM 3500 offerings. To get the payload needed for a fifth wheel I need to move up to a F450 which only comes with DRW, an option I do not want. Here are the placards of the F350 I looked at;

View attachment 404493View attachment 404495View attachment 404494

The placards numbers would say no to your 5th wheel and a bumper mount trailer would be pushing the maximum payload number. It seems to me the 2500 offerings and Ford's 3500 can pull weight but can't take much of the tongue or fifth wheel weight. If I am reading something wrong please advise.

The F-350 you are looking at has been neutered and only has a GVWR of 10000 lbs. The F-350 has multiple GVWR ratings for the SRW. You need to find one that has the higher GVWR rating of 11400. That would give you close to 3000 lbs of payload. Also look for 18" wheel instead of the 20" and that will save you another 100 or so pounds. the option weights add up quickly. My 2014 F350 Lariat (6.7L Crew Cab Short Box 4x4) has a payload of 3260 pounds.