What VA Benefits are available for seniors?

/ What VA Benefits are available for seniors? #11  
Join a Veteran Service Organization like AmVets, VFW, or the American Legion, and go to their offices at your local VA hospital; from their they'll direct you to all kinds of different benefits. If you've got anything wrong that can be traced back to your time in service you can collect a disability pension for that; you'll go through a mess of doctor appointments, but it's worth it in the end, especially if you qualify for VA medical coverage. There are also a lot of programs once you get your foot in the door; supplemental life insurance, burial benefits, etc.

You can do this all on your own, but it's a mess. Going through a VSO alleviates a lot of the headache.

/ What VA Benefits are available for seniors? #12  
VA told me I couldn't get a card or any services as I didn't have a service-connected disability.

Bruce

/ What VA Benefits are available for seniors? #13  
VA told me I couldn't get a card or any services as I didn't have a service-connected disability.

Bruce

How long ago was that?

The VA bureaucracy is an absolute nightmare, and that's why I recommend going to a VSO for assistance.

/ What VA Benefits are available for seniors? #14  

Bruce
I have no service related disability and have had my VA account quite a few years. Used VA healthcare for a while and still can, just got pissed at a useless doctor and am taking a sanity break.
Bad reaction to prescribed med and moron wanted to quadruple the dose.... not in my body.

/ What VA Benefits are available for seniors? #15  
My Pop died in December 022, when I called the VA to stop percriptions etc. they were very helpful, gave me all sorts of info. When I called back fo burial assistance, they said they had no record of him. A letter they sent to me had the middle initial wrong. Called back, what a nightmare. Never did call back or get any benefits for his burial... Sad that veterans, dead or alive have to go through so much BS, when others (fill in the blank) have no problems getting assistance for food, housing, etc.
Sorry to all the Veterans on here, and know that I really do appreciate your service...

/ What VA Benefits are available for seniors? #16  
The availability and quality of VA medical care varies by location.

Sometimes it's a matter of the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Generally I have received excellent service.

It's a HUGE federal bureaucracy, so the getting help as mentioned in previous posts is very good advise.

/ What VA Benefits are available for seniors? #17  

Bruce

Just because one served in the Armed Forces for one enlistment DOES NOT qualify you for health care, etc. The rules have all sorts of qualifiers as to who is eligible for what. I spent a full 4 years in the Navy. The only reason I qualified for a VA medical card was because my DD-214 detailed that I drew combat pay while in Vietnam. Just "serving" during the Vietnam era but not drawing combat pay would have disqualified me. If memory serves me correctly its the same for Iraq war veterans and Afghanistan.

/ What VA Benefits are available for seniors? #18  
It was 2-3 years ago. I wasn't expecting anything, just checking. i thought a card showing I was a veteran would help with ID for some business vet discounts. Then WA allowed it to be put on driver's license.

Bruce

/ What VA Benefits are available for seniors?
Just because one served in the Armed Forces for one enlistment DOES NOT qualify you for health care, etc. The rules have all sorts of qualifiers as to who is eligible for what. I spent a full 4 years in the Navy. The only reason I qualified for a VA medical card was because my DD-214 detailed that I drew combat pay while in Vietnam. Just "serving" during the Vietnam era but not drawing combat pay would have disqualified me. If memory serves me correctly its the same for Iraq war veterans and Afghanistan.
I did try and get VA medical soon after I retired but was turned down. They wanted to know my income over the past year which included when I was still working and they said I made too much money to qualify. I'm not looking for VA medial because I'm under Medicare now and get good service.

/ What VA Benefits are available for seniors?
It was 2-3 years ago. I wasn't expecting anything, just checking. i thought a card showing I was a veteran would help with ID for some business vet discounts. Then WA allowed it to be put on driver's license.

Bruce
I get 10% discount at Lowes and a few other places using my Veteran designation on my DL.