What type of fuel caddy?

/ What type of fuel caddy? #1  

MF RED in MT

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
Hi everyone,

I am looking to purchase a fuel caddy for my MF and I think I am going to get either a 25 or a 30 gallon fuel caddy with a hand crank. I am looking in the price range of $200 to $400. I am leaning towards the metal ones, but have seen alot of the poly type caddys. I live in a cold climate (-20 to maybe -40 degrees for a weeks time) and I am not sure how the poly type caddys would hold up? Could anyone help me with information on these poly types in cold climates? I could not find anything online regarding cold climates. In the past, I know plastic does not do well in cold climates, but maybe they have a special blend to plastic?

Thanks, KC

/ What type of fuel caddy? #2  
Hi everyone,

I am looking to purchase a fuel caddy for my MF and I think I am going to get either a 25 or a 30 gallon fuel caddy with a hand crank. I am looking in the price range of $200 to $400. I am leaning towards the metal ones, but have seen alot of the poly type caddys. I live in a cold climate (-20 to maybe -40 degrees for a weeks time) and I am not sure how the poly type caddys would hold up? Could anyone help me with information on these poly types in cold climates? I could not find anything online regarding cold climates. In the past, I know plastic does not do well in cold climates, but maybe they have a special blend to plastic?

Thanks, KC
I would never waist my money on a caddy .
To much money for to few benefits.

Here are 2 superior set ups that I put together for about the same or less money.

First one
100_2303.jpg

2 Nd one
100_2582.jpg

/ What type of fuel caddy? #4  
I picked up a Fil-Rite 15 g.p.m. 12 volt pump complete with filter,hose and nozzle on Craigslist for $75.00.My local Oil Distributor was happy to give me a brand new clean 55 gal.drum for free if I purchase fuel from him.He will even deliver it for me.This set-up works great.It takes longer to hook-up the power than it does to fill the tank.Your gonna have your tractor and implements for a long time why not make it easy on yourself? Scotty

/ What type of fuel caddy? #5  
LB,

Nice set up, but for those of us who do not have 18 tractors :) , but only have one, keeping that much fuel on hand may not be a good solution. I only buy 55L at a time, so a fuel caddy would be good for me.

:)

I do love the shed for fuel storage. You store you oil and other tractor related stuff in it too? Do you just drive up to the door and fuel up?

I would never waist my money on a caddy .
To much money for to few benefits.

Here are 2 superior set ups that I put together for about the same or less money.

First one
100_2303.jpg

2 Nd one
100_2582.jpg

/ What type of fuel caddy? #6  
I picked up a Fil-Rite 15 g.p.m. 12 volt pump complete with filter,hose and nozzle on Craigslist for $75.00.My local Oil Distributor was happy to give me a brand new clean 55 gal.drum for free if I purchase fuel from him.He will even deliver it for me.
*This set-up works great.It takes longer to hook-up the power than it does to fill the tank.
**Your gonna have your tractor and implements for a long time why not make it easy on yourself? Scotty
*Yep much better than a caddy.
**Could not have said that better my self.

/ What type of fuel caddy? #7  
I have also been looking into caddie type fuel system as I don't currently use enought diesel to justify a large holding tank but I hate lifting the 5 gallon cans up in the air to fuel my tractor.

This is the best option I have found.
25 Gallon Capacity Steel Gas Caddy - Greg Smith Equipment Sales, Inc

If I get one, I will probably replace the hand pump with an electric pump. Maybe something like this one.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200351098_200351098

/ What type of fuel caddy?
LB, hey thats a great :cool: set up you have for fueling, but I only have 1 small tractor to fill. I am also concerned about the big picture if something were to go wrong :eek: with a leak or a fire while storing in my garage. I would rather pay a little extra now and get the proper FM and OSHA approvals for my container and maybe not have a big problem with my homeowners insurance :eek: if murphys law were to curse me. I do not think anything would happen, but if it did, :eek:, you know how insurance companies just love to find sometihing so they do not have to pay out. Also I live in a densely forested area only a quarter mile from National Forest Lands.

Amigauser, this is the one I have been looking at:

Northern Industrial 30-Gallon Steel Gas Caddy | Gas + Oil Cans | Northern Tool + Equipment.

I like the 25 gallon one you listed, but I do not see any approvals like FM or OSHA? Does anyone have a experience with the non steel types for cold weather areas? KC

/ What type of fuel caddy? #10  
1*LB,Nice set up.
2*but for those of us who do not have 18 tractors, but only have one, keeping that much fuel on hand may not be a good solution.
3* I only buy 55L at a time, so a fuel caddy would be good for me.
I do love the shed for fuel storage.
4*You store you oil and other tractor related stuff in it too?
5*Do you just drive up to the door and fuel up?
1*Thanks.
2*It's not really about volume of fuel so much as it's about convience and ease of use .
3*But still not as good as building your own rig offering more features/benefits for about the same or less money.
4*Just the fuel at the moment.
5*Yep really nice.
I have also been looking into caddie type fuel system as
6*I don't currently use enought diesel to justify a large holding tank .
7*I hate lifting the 5 gallon cans up in the air to fuel my tractor.
8*This is the best option I have found.
25 Gallon Capacity Steel Gas Caddy - Greg Smith Equipment Sales, Inc
If I get one, I will probably replace the hand pump with an electric pump. Maybe something like this one.
Tuthill Diesel Fuel Transfer Pump with Suction Pipe — 12 Volt, 10 GPM, Model# FR1616 | DC Powered Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment
6*If you are considering a caddy your are justifing building your own rig.
7*I can use it to fill my tractor from 5 gallon cans.
That's the beauty of my set up of and just one of its uneque features.
8*You will Probably have more money in it than building it your self and it likely will have fewer features.
9*LB, hey thats a great :cool: set up you have for fueling.
but I only have 1 small tractor to fill.
10*I am also concerned about the big picture if something were to go wrong :eek: with a leak or a fire while storing in my garage.
11*I would rather pay a little extra now and get the proper FM and OSHA approvals for my container and maybe not have a big problem with my homeowners insurance :eek: if murphys law were to curse me.
12*I do not think anything would happen, but if it did, :eek:, you know how insurance companies just love to find sometihing so they do not have to pay out.
13* Also I live in a densely forested area only a quarter mile from National Forest Lands.
Amigauser, this is the one I have been looking at:
14*Northern Industrial 30-Gallon Steel Gas Caddy | Gas + Oil Cans | Northern Tool + Equipment.
15* I like the 25 gallon one you listed, but I do not see any approvals like FM or OSHA?
16*Does anyone have a experience with the non steel types for cold weather areas? KC
9*Thanks ,but its not about how many or what size tractor.
The subject is which is better buying a Caddy or building your own rig.
I did a lot of reasearch and comparing before I built my system and building my own beat a caddy 7 ways from sunday.
10*I eliminated that concern by putting the system in its own small storage building well away from the house garage and other buildings.
As far as leaks and fires people storing cans of gasoline in homes garages and basements scare the dickens out of me compared to worrying about a little old diesel storage rig.
11*What is FM?
I don't need OSHA approval since I am not an employer.
12*With the reg in the small building the loss would be very minimal.
I think preventing the house from burning down is much prefered over trying to battle the insurance co over paying for it if it does happen .
13*I don't see that as any problem.
14*My first rig was 30 gallon.
The 2nd one is 55 gallon.
I do not consider anything under 100 gallons as storing a large volume of fuel.
15*I don't think those aprovals are required.
16*I do know my drums are the same materal as the 5 gallon cans.
Good for any climate/temperature I think.
Here is the one I am considering.
17*Flo N' Go - DuraMax
18*I really love LB's set up, but do not have that much use for fuel.
18*Then why are you thinking about a caddy?
You can still set up your own rig by using a 15 gallon drum or even just a couple of 5 gallon cans and pump the fuel out of that to fill your tractor.