What turbocharger does the DK50-55 use? (I want to turbo a DK40)

/ What turbocharger does the DK50-55 use? (I want to turbo a DK40) #1  

Bama67

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 5520H
Actually, I lied in the title, I want to turbo a Bobcat CT440 but it is exactly the same as a DK40SE.

I am thinking of buying my Bobcat CT440 back from the friend I sold it to a year ago. The problem is I have since moved from 300' above sea level to about 8,500' in the mountains of CO, and using it up to 10,000'

So right off the bat at, this altitude I'm losing 30% power so my 41hp tractor become 29hp. I know the turbo would give me all the power back as the turbo doesn't care about altitude.

By doing a bit of research I found that my Bobcat and DK40 use the Daedong 4A200 engine, and the DK50 uses the exact engine but with a turbo (4A200T) the compression is even the same

I found the exhaust manifold online for about $100, but the turbo is like $2000!

Can someone give me the manufacturer, or model #, or size of this turbo so I can look for other options? I can't find anything on the turbo itself.

Thanks! I think this could be fun project and it is essentially plug and play; and yes I will sort out the oil cooling for the turbo and will add EGT temp gauge to keep tabs on the temps.

/ What turbocharger does the DK50-55 use? (I want to turbo a DK40) #3  
Sounds like fun many people retrofit turbos especially if you can get the manifold. Once you get it added just need to turn up the fuel limit on the fuel pump. EA attachments has a great video on their you tube page where they turn up a Newholland.

/ What turbocharger does the DK50-55 use? (I want to turbo a DK40)
Buying a 40hp turbo tractor as capable as my Bobcat, like an LS XR4140, would cost me about $10,000 more.
I would imagine I could turbo this tractor for less than $1000 if I can buy something other than a new OEM turbo from Kioti

Yeah, the manifold is readily available, and from what I gathered online, the injection pump is the same.
I don't even care to make additional power, I just want the turbo to overcome the thin air.

The only difference I found was the turbo model has 12 degrees timing, and the NA model has 18.
I'm unsure if this is enough to hurt anything.

/ What turbocharger does the DK50-55 use? (I want to turbo a DK40) #5  
The timing is easily adjusted with shims under the injection pump would just need to install thinner one if it has any.

The timing is easily adjusted with shims under the injection pump would just need to install thinner one if it has any.

Oh ok, I'm not very good with the diesel engine philosophy. In my mind I was thinking gas engines with distributor caps or timing chain marks; or valve timing.

I will research the injection pump timing adjustment.

Last edited:
   / What turbocharger does the DK50-55 use? (I want to turbo a DK40) #7  
IF The turbo is only to provide a return to sea level performance, i.e. the HP of the normally aspirated engine.
No adjustment of the fuel delivery will be required.

A blow off valve set to 15 psi absolute output will accomplish this.

You could fit just about any appropriately sized turbo, but playing around with scrolls will add to the troubles and costs.
A good turbo shop will be worth visiting. Explain your needs. See what they say. Some models of turbochargers can be very inexpensive.

I see lots of tractor turbos for different manufacturers on eBay and the like, that are very reasonable.
I just need to find out what fits the DK50, so far unsuccessfully.
I was hoping someone on here with a DK50 might could tell me what it is exactly.

Also, do you think my current fuel timing set at 18 degrees will be any issue?

/ What turbocharger does the DK50-55 use? (I want to turbo a DK40) #9  
It should be fine as long as you keep track of your EGT I think the reduced timing just helps with egt temps.

/ What turbocharger does the DK50-55 use? (I want to turbo a DK40) #10  
Just glancing at tractordata.com it looks like a DK40SE uses a 2.0L, the 45 uses a 2.2L and the 50 uses a 2.4L