What tractor would you buy...

/ What tractor would you buy... #11  
Please don't misunderstand my position. I am not saying you didn't do okay. I'm just saying the inflated purchase price of the new tractors ate a sizeable portion of the inflated price you received for your old tractor.

Also in a paper trade deal I pay very little attention to the value they assign to my trade-in. I only pay attention to the difference paid. If I'm buying a similar machine as the one I traded in this difference paid is what it cost me to own that machine.

I tend to calculate this based on dollars per tach hour. If I put 1000 tach hrs on the trade-in machine and I pay $40K difference, my costs are $40 p/tach hour.

Again, inflation clouds the air in trades. The profit margin for the work performed by the old machine has to have inflated at a similar pace as all these dollar amounts or I have lost ground.
I hear you, and agree in most cases.

But I deal with my tractor dealer on "ACV" (actual cash value) when talking buying or anything involving a trade.

I get the lowest cash price I can out of him. That includes whatever incentives the manufacturer may have.

Then I will decide to opt the trade in. That way the trade value is what they are actually giving me for it. Lots of folks get taken in by over allowance when a trade is involved, but if you have a good dealer who understands you want real numbers, and no slight of hand BS where the figures are concerned, you can weigh what they are actually giving you for trade.

As far as the per tach hour, by business can be very seasonal, and when my clients call and ask if I can get on their project, if I have broken equipment in the shop for repairs, or waiting for parts, I don't make that money, and even risk losing the client because I can't get the work done. I just can't make money on a tractor that in the shop. That can cut the heart out of my busy season.

everyone has to consider their own needs and cost comparisons.

/ What tractor would you buy... #12  
I hear you, and agree in most cases.

But I deal with my tractor dealer on "ACV" (actual cash value) when talking buying or anything involving a trade.

I get the lowest cash price I can out of him. That includes whatever incentives the manufacturer may have.

Then I will decide to opt the trade in. That way the trade value is what they are actually giving me for it. Lots of folks get taken in by over allowance when a trade is involved, but if you have a good dealer who understands you want real numbers, and no slight of hand BS where the figures are concerned, you can weigh what they are actually giving you for trade.

As far as the per tach hour, by business can be very seasonal, and when my clients call and ask if I can get on their project, if I have broken equipment in the shop for repairs, or waiting for parts, I don't make that money, and even risk losing the client because I can't get the work done. I just can't make money on a tractor that in the shop. That can cut the heart out of my busy season.

everyone has to consider their own needs and cost comparisons.
Good stuff.

In the end, difference paid is the only number that's concrete.

4 years ago my Township traded for a new grader. I was running the old one on a sizeable road project smoothing behind a large scraper. The new machine showed up and I got out of the old one and in the new one to continue work. Within 90 minutes it was broke down. Sure wished I had my old one back at that moment. :)

/ What tractor would you buy... #13  
I’m just thinking out loud here but could you get a construction type trencher for the same money and be better off?

/ What tractor would you buy... #14  
I would go with a known machine that you know works and have some history of use before looking for an unknown tractor with unknown history that may work just fine or may not be as comfortable, have same view capabilities, etc.

Or like dodgeman suggests, would a dedicated trencher be a better choice?

/ What tractor would you buy... #15  
Some information for the 6175R some problems and how to fix:

I don't put information up because I don't like JD I put the information up
so you will have a knowledge of problems others are having with this unit'
and some put up information on how to fix the problems so you have a heads
up en case you have these problems

willy

Last edited:
   / What tractor would you buy...
I’m just thinking out loud here but could you get a construction type trencher for the same money and be better off?
Not likely, a previous contractor tried several other types of dedicated trenchers without much success. This attachment was 100k on its own, it functions a little different than the dedicated machines.

/ What tractor would you buy... #17