What to seal air bleeder screw with?

/ What to seal air bleeder screw with? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Had to put new fuel injection pump on my IH 1066. Got it working, went to cut a field. Got off machine (while running) and noticed fuel dribbling out the air/bleeder that is mounted above the filters.

Bit of backstory... while working on pump, I decided to replace filters. During replacement, noticed the bleeder didn't seem to seat very well (turns out it was stripped internally).

Happened late morning Saturday and I don't have a threaded bolt I can use as a plug...and no idea where to get this so figured since it was already messed up, I had nothing to lose! I solder plugged the bottom to buy time for a new one to arrive (ordered it yesterday).

Went out to cut a field, got off machine again and fuel still dribbling out the top, seemingly the threads.

What might I use on the threads of the replacement to seal them that is compatible with diesel? I didn't notice any type of sealant on this one so didn't think about adding any. It IS certainly possible I didn't tighten it down enough. I was using an adjustable wrench and didn't want to round this off. I was too tired (lazy?) to walk back to house to get a box wrench for better bite.

Don't want to put replacement in to then find I DO need a sealant....rather get it beforehand so I'm ready.

Vent 2.jpg

/ What to seal air bleeder screw with? #2  
I would guess its not supposed to need any sealant, but when things get stripped, plans change...

Maybe you could use Permatex aviation sealant? Or even just pipe dope that is rated for fuel oil? (sparingly! Dont want to get that stuff in your injection pump(

/ What to seal air bleeder screw with? #3  
I'd try a couple of wraps of teflon tape as a bandaid.

/ What to seal air bleeder screw with? #4  
I second the Teflon tape idea as it's much less likely to get into your pump ($$$$)

/ What to seal air bleeder screw with? #5  
Anyone that uses an adjustable open end wrench (Crescent Wrench or West Virginia socket set) to remove any hex bolt or fitting of consequence is asking for trouble. Only thing they are good for is rounding off the flats and buggering up the fitting.

/ What to seal air bleeder screw with?
1. No way I'd (personally) use teflon tape.... only way to be 100% sure it doesn't get into the system is to keep it out of the system.
2. The fitting itself (external contacts) are NOT stripped. It's evidently stripped on the INSIDE where the valve tightens down.
3. I've already ordered a new valve and today, got some Permatex (something or other) designed for threads when exposed to hydraulics or fuels.

Should be fine once I get the new valve. Interestingly, the new valve doesn't have a hex for the bleeder. It has a thumb wheel with a screwdriver slot across the top. So unless someone goes from adjustable wrench to vice grips... :oops: