What to purchase???

/ What to purchase??? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Can anyone help? I'm in the process of buying a new garden tractor. I have been borrowing my father's old 12 hp Wheel Horse, which runs great and like a tank, but he wants it back at the end of the season. I have been shopping around and the new Wheel Horse really isn't the same I'm gathering after Toro bought them out. I'm not sure though.
However, I am impressed with the Toro Wheel Horse 5xi series and also the John Deere 325, both 18 hp machines. Has anyone heard or experienced either of these machines? I also found out in my travels that the New Holland GT Series garden tractors are built by Toro and they are the same as the 5xi series.
Also, the Toro Wheel Horse is shaft driven is there any benefit or advantage of having a shaft or is the old belt system that John Deere uses as well as the old Wheel Horses use still the best system. I'm familiar that Cub Cadet has been using a shaft system for years, but never really heard good or bad about them. Thank you for any advice.

/ What to purchase??? #2  
Kubota also make a great riding mowers as the others.
I purchase a new Sears 19hp twin lawn tractor just for mowing around the house,and thats does a great job plus the price was right also easy to work on./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
It almost seems some of these brand name lawn and garden tractor cost almost much as a small compact tractor./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif
There a lot of JD lawn and garden tractor sold around this area,so I guess everyone pleased with them,for they are a darn good unit!!

I would wait for the end of the year sales before purchasing..$$$,/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gifalso do some home work.

Take care and stay /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ What to purchase??? #3  
In 1995, I looked at Sears, Murrays, John Deere, Poulan, MTD, Toro, and goodness knows what else before buying a Cub Cadet AGS2130. The AGS (auto gear system) was pretty good, but if I ever did it again, I'd go for the hydrostatic transmission instead. Anyway, I put about 400 hours on it in 4 years and was quite happy with it. The only reason I sold it was because it was a 38" cut and bought 60" finish mower and mow with the tractor now.

Bird

/ What to purchase??? #4  
Last part of 1998, and all of 1999, I shopped around myself for either a GT or compact.

As for the shaft versus belt drive issue, intuitively (with my sometimes contorted logic /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif), a shaft is better than a belt due to a more efficient transfer of power. But, at the same time, I have never heard of a belt slipping on a good GT. Some argue that a belt needs to be often maintained. For some GT owners that I know, that becomes an every one or two year operation (the belts break). But… those people have low-cost discount store tractors. The premiums seem to have a better transfer system which places less strain (or movement) on the belts causing longer belt life. So, IMHO, belts efficiently perform the job intended on those LT's/GT's that have them. I would personally prefer a shaft, but wouldn't pay too much of a premium for it.

When shopping, my own GT-class considerations were the Cub 3000's, JD 300's and 400's, the Toro 5xi and Kubota G's.

As Thomas stated, those machines are close to compact prices. When I started to add attachments (snow removal, tilling, etc.) to the prices quoted, many of them exceeded the cost of compact similarly equipped. So, I myself opted for a sub compact.

Question: What is your intended use for the machine, how many acres and what is the terrain? If it's to only maintain a lawn, don't overlook the ZTR's. If it's to do other task, don't jump into a GT without checking out the smaller compacts.

/ What to purchase??? #5  
I'd just like to add another tractor to the mix,thats Ariens. I've had an Ariens gt for over ten years,mowing,snow blowing,and all round use.I'ts a good unit,well made and the price isn't out of line for the for the garden tractor market.

/ What to purchase???
I have owned department store brands, John Deere, Ingersoll (Case) and Cub Cadet. The last two are tied for first in my opinion. I now have a Cub Cadet 1541 with a 46" deck that I bought used last year. Rebuilt the deck, all new bearings and belts and it has performed flawlessly.

If you are interested in a used machine, email me at k.w.combs@worldnet.att.net. If you desire a new one, look at the Cub's heavier models and the Ingersoll, IMO.

/ What to purchase???
I have a Wheelhorse/Toro 267-H machine that I love. 3 blade deck with blower and bagger. Works 10x better than my old deer LX172. I also have the single stage snowthrower, works great. I am moving to a larger machine. This machine has 60 hours on it. Paid 5900, selling for 2300, Boston, MA area. e-mail at jetranger@mediaone.net. Dan

/ What to purchase??? #8  
Sounds like we have another Ingersoll guy on the list. I would have to second that. These things are built like tanks. No drive belts, or shaft, it’s all-hydraulic. [OK the mower deck runs off the belt]

18-29691-tractor.gif
18-30376-Paul.jpg