What to Look For When Buying a Tractor - My List of Suggestions

/ What to Look For When Buying a Tractor - My List of Suggestions #1  

keg99

Tractor
New Holland TC40DA
Here is my list of what to look for when buying a tractor

Use
These comments are about compact tractors for use around the home/homestead/small place. I don't have any experience farming row crops, but have owned and cared for over 190 acres at one time and now am working a little 5 acres plat with 120 acres next door that I help take care of. My tractor is the focal point of most everything I do from cutting fields to grading the long driveway to clearing snow to cleaning up to moving stuff around.

HP
I have a 40 Hp tractor, I think I could go down to 30 Hp, but you know how it is, bigger is always better. While my 40 horse works fine, I have met situations where 45 or 50 would have been nice.

Two Wheel versus Four Wheel Drive
If you want or need traction, 4x4 is the only way to go. If you put on a front end loader you absolutely have to have 4x4. I used to have two wheel drive with a loader and no matter how much weight I added on the back, it was never enough, especially if I had the slightest downhill angle to back out of.

Hydrostatic versus Gear
Gear drive gets you more horsepower to the wheels. It also has less expensive moving parts. But if you do a lot of back and forth activities, get a hydrostatic. A bit more expencive, but makes operation much faster when having to go back and forth or when changing speed (just push further on the pedal to go faster). my hydro does make a lot of 'whirring' nose from the pump, which is annoying. But to me, a small price to pay. I even find it useful when brush hogging. Quick revserse and back to cutting.

Ergonomics
This is the one area you need to really concentrate. I took my time and tried lots of different tractors Ford, Mahindra, Kubota, John Deere, etc. I settled on a New Holland TC40DA. Not saying this is the best tractor to get. I just really like how it feels, operates (and, best of all, how it has held up, since I'm not the most gentle operator.) Several of the following items fall under the ergomonics category. I would not recommend taking ergonomic lightly.

Seat
I had a John Deere 950 for a while. Great tractor, but a solid seat. No springs. I sure had some bumpy rides with that tractor. An additional feature on my New Holland is the seat swivels to let you look back at your implements a little easier while operating. This is a nice feature, but not critical. Do consider whether the seat moves back and forth so you can get the best position at the wheel. (The TC40DA also allows the steering wheel to tilt and move in and out. I usually have it set in one position, but again, nice little feature, just not critical)

Access
This goes along with ergonomics. I looked at several tractors and most only allow you to get on and off from one side. There are many situations where I like to mount/dismount from either side. Highly recommend being able to get on and off from either side.

Weight
I had my tires filled with fluid. Can't imagine not having that extra weight and often wish I had even more (mostly because of the front end loader). It's worth the cost. I was told the fuild they used will not rot the wheels as the old salt solutions used to do. So far mine shows no signs of corrosion and it is 9 years old (bought in 2006). Just watch out if you have to handle those tires!

Front End Loader
Unless you are doing row crops, the most typical use is around the ol' homestead is doing chores. And those chores almost always includes lifting and moving. A front end loader is essential and I wouldn't go without.

Front End Loader Operators
This, again, falls under the ergonomics category. If you use your loader a lot, having the controls in a comfortable location is really helpful. Some tractors have them mounted in a way you have to reach for them. I like having them right where my hand rests. And along with that, an arm rest is great. It helps you avoid fatigue and it helps you steady your actions when doing precise/detailed lifting and moving.

Grapple
Along with a front end loader, a grapple is the best add-on. It allows you to hold whatever you are picking up and keep it in the bucket. I got an é„*dd-A-Grapple that just bolts on. The biggest issue is adding the hyrdraulics to make it work.

Front Forks
If you have the Quick Attach (see below), front forks are a great addition. It just increases the utility of a utility tractor. I put bricks, rock, blocks, junk on old skids and can easily move them around. I built a box on a skid/pallet for small pieces of wood so I can drive up to the house and put in the fireplace.

Quick Attach
Most tractors seems to have the front end loader bucket attached with pins. You can make changes, but it is a real hassle. I got the Quick Attach on the front loader, meaning I can attach anything that a BobCat can use. The result much higher utility. I can and do switch out attachments all the time. Mostly I switch to my front forks for moving pallets of bricks and stone, etc. I also built a tree puller that mounts on the loader.

Top & Tilt
Top & Tilt is a difficult name to understand without a good explanation. The å…¸op is a hydraulic cylinder on the top-link of a three-point hitch. If allows you to change the downward cutting angle of a grading blade. The å…¸ilt is a hydraulic cylinder on one arm of the three-point hitch that allows you to change the horizontal angle of the blade. Both are nice features. I put on the å…¸ilt cylinder and really like it. It also makes putting on implements much easier. Didn't have an extra hydraulic connection for the å…¸op? so I skipped that. Can't say whether the å…¸op is that important since I never tried it.

Lights
The front end loader on my New Holland blocks the front lights. That is one aspect I don't like. Had to install extra lights on the ROPS to see at night. I also moved the rear taillights to the inside of the ROPS. After knocking one off by hitting a tree limb, I'll never go back to lights outside the ROPS protection.

Fuel Filling
This is not a high priority item, but something to consider. Lots of tractors have the fuel tank filling port on the top of the hood. Any spills get all over your hood, making a mess. Mine has the fuel tank and filler in the back. A nice feature that makes my all-too-common spills less of a mess.

Steering Wheel Spinner
This is an add-on I highly recommend. It is just a spinning knob that attaches to the steering whell. It allows you to quickly maneuver the tractor. Actually, I'm so sold on this, I put on three of them just so I always have one right where I want to rest my arm. Call me crazy, but hey.

AG versus R4 Industrial Tires
I thought I wanted Ag tires for extra traction. My industrial tires work just fine. I had turf tires on a previous tractor. Don't recommend those if you want or need any sort of traction. And don't forget, widen the wheel spacing as wide as you can get by with. Tractors are shipped in their narrow setting. You don't need to stick with that. And it is MUCH safer to be wide.

Diesel Engine Heater
I don't have one but when it gets below 20F, I wish I did.

That's about it. Probably many other suggestions, but I'm out of time. Hopefully others will offer their thoughts. AND good luck buying your tractor.

/ What to Look For When Buying a Tractor - My List of Suggestions #2  
I'm going to add a few ideas of my own. I agree with weight on the rear tires. I just like to have mine so that I can take it off when I don't need it, so I have mine as cast iron that fits on the three pint hitch. I use my tractor for mowing in muddy conditions and it is nice to be able to drop off all the extra weight.

On tires I realize that this is an endless argument. I have all the traction I need with turfs. Even pushing snow with the front end loader and with out the 800 lb weight bracket I can power out the motor. The only reason I can see for industrial tires is for use in rough rock and areas where tire punctures can be a constant problem. Otherwise you are better off with turfs as they ride so much smoother. This is just my opinion.

Lastly I see the need for another category. Yes off brand tractors are cheaper... until you can't find parts and then until you do you have a useless collection of parts that's called a tractor. My advice is to buy a tractor from a company that has a history of being around. Also to buy a more popular model as parts will be available for a longer period of time. A couple of thousand dollars saved on purchase can disappear quickly when there are no parts available.

/ What to Look For When Buying a Tractor - My List of Suggestions #3  
On HST vs Gear and Tires, there is endless debate and controversy, no way you can cover it all. On a spinner, with power steering, I can spin the wheel with the palm of my hand very easily, but that's a personal preference.

My addition is hydraulic capacity. Pump flow, how many pumps, how many remotes, 3rd function loader valve compatible, loader lift capacity, 3PTH capacity. these are some of the most important considerations in buying a tractor and are often overlooked.

On HST tractors, in the ergonomics part, is a independent or live PTO, and attendant clutch/brake pedal juggle. Some tractors have an independent PTO, which does not require a clutch. Others have a live, where a clutch is necessary to engage and disengage the PTO. When a clutch is put on an HST tractor, where the brakes, HST pedal, and clutch go is often messed up, as on my Kioti. Care must be made to be sure the brakes and HST can be operated simultaneously.

Which brings up another point, HST treadle pedal vs dual pedals. This perhaps the most vicious debate here, with vigorous proponents of both styles. It is personal preference, I don't care either way.