What to do with old chain link fencing?

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #11  
Where I'm at, recycle places will also not take fencing unless it is in 2'x2' pieces. No wire rope either, except in 2' pieces. That is why we often find old skidder and choker wire in the woods all the time.
I agree with others above; Save a few nicer chunks and then a free sign or list it cheap.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #12  
It can make a pretty good radial field for a 1/4 wave vertical HF antenna when laid out flat on the ground in a 360 degree pattern from the feedpoint of the vertical. It will "melt" into the grass and be invisible in a few short years. But I doubt you have any use for that. But point is somewhere there is a person just dying to get their hands on that fencing for whatever reason. You just have to find that someone. One mans trash is another mans treasure.
is that what is called a ‘ground plane’?

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #13  
I would definitely try to sell it on CL. A few years back I was replacing a couple thousand feet of wood horse fencing with PVC. It consisted of 4x4 posts (many rotted at the base) and 1x8 rough cut boards. Figured they would make a decent bonfire, but then figured I would try to sell them on CL. Sure enough, one guy bought all the boards to repurpose after powerwashing the old paint off, and another guy bought all the posts. All involved were very pleased with the outcome. Give it a try.....nothing to lose.

Last edited:
   / What to do with old chain link fencing? #14  
I used some in the concrete slab for my shed out back years ago - don't know if it made a difference or not but got rid of some of it.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #15  
I had a few hundred feet of chain link many years ago. Listed it in the local paper for sale at a moderate price and it was sold within a week. They came with a trailer and tractor to pick it up.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #17  
Just pulled down a fence recently and cut all wires int 4 foot lengths. Onto the trailer and to the local dump and metal pile. They don't charge at our dump if you dump metal.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #18  
Well we tossed it on CL and FBM and sure enough someone came within 2 hours and not only saved me a trip to the dump but paid me too!
I knew someone wanted it. Just got to find the right guy. And looks like you did.

/ What to do with old chain link fencing? #20  
Why won't metal places take fence? I could understand if it was plastic coated. But even that is no worse than a car, for contamination.