What to do with cleared dirt this late in the season?

/ What to do with cleared dirt this late in the season? #1  

Kingsqueak

Bronze Member
Tractor
Husqvarna TS-354X Massey Ferguson 2607h
So I had about 1-1.5 acres cleared due to excavation and site grading. The project ran about two months late for ideal seeding.

I have a bunch of rock and root cleanup in the soil to do yet, my equipment isn't here but I will use a grapple and York rake to get it cleaned up. I don't anticipate getting it finished much earlier than mid October if not late.

First frost will likely beat me to finishing it off so I don't think seeding is a good idea?

The plan is to plant grass of some sort, mostly something green to hold the dirt down. This is more of a rural field vs suburban lawn situation.

What is the best option to help with erosion over the winter?

I'm thinking that covering with hay until early spring may be the answer but it seems like it's going to take a lot of hay.

I'm in Southern NH as far as climate goes.

/ What to do with cleared dirt this late in the season? #2  
What do you have for soil ? Clean it up ,loosen up the topsoil 2 " deep and throw the seed and starter fert. at it , Good luck , Kevin .

/ What to do with cleared dirt this late in the season? #3  
Winter rye ?

/ What to do with cleared dirt this late in the season? #4  
My lawn is basically a rural field too. I致e always just thrown seed down by hand and just left it. Usually takes about two weeks to start growing. Whatever bare spots it on exist next year, I just throw more seed down.

/ What to do with cleared dirt this late in the season? #5  
annual rye grass

/ What to do with cleared dirt this late in the season? #7  
At late oct i wouldn't seed it. Drag your rake in the spring then seed it. Between the cold weather snd short days it may not even sprought until next year anyway.

/ What to do with cleared dirt this late in the season?
Yeah my tractor isn't here yet... I had the excavator run a Harley rake over it to at least get a start at a finished surface, but that was only just done. We're just hitting freezing at night now. I think it may have to wait. I missed it by about a month. At least the new site grading works so I won't have the erosion issue I was fearing at any real scale.

I have a fair amount of rock and root cleanup still to do as well before I'd want to plant it anyway.

Thanks for the input all.