What to do with all these boxes?

/ What to do with all these boxes? #1  

FriendwithTractor

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901
The other day, I took advantage of the rainy weather to haul five bucket loads of cardboard boxes down to the garden to turn into ash.
It seems like every other day another cardboard box shows up. My mother claims to be breaking them down to recycle them...however I simply found the broken down ones on the pile. After my burning session, there's actually a concrete floor in that side of the garage, I knew it was down there somewhere.

As I was watching the flames, I was thinking "There has to be a better use of these things than just burning them."

A few things to add: We don't have enough stuff to consider boxing it all up. The rate they come in is steady, but defiantly increases during the holidays. The pile I burned was likely a year backlog. Perhaps maybe shredding? There's a couple new raised beds that could use some material.

All suggestions appreciated.

/ What to do with all these boxes? #2  
Is there a recycle center nearby that takes the boxes? There is $ in cardboard recycling, not for the donator but for the recycler who has semi truckloads.

/ What to do with all these boxes?
Is there a recycle center nearby that takes the boxes? There is $ in cardboard recycling, not for the donator but for the recycler who has semi truckloads.
That I'll have to look into. Rather see them be used than turned into ash.

/ What to do with all these boxes? #7  
In our backwater the county at one time had recycle trailers parked around different areas, It was great being able to recycle instead of fill up the landfill but alas the a-holes that live here used the trailers for garbage disposal and dumped everything into them. The trailers are now all gone and there is no recycling to be found that is not at least 50 miles away.

/ What to do with all these boxes? #8  
I cull most while choosing sturdy ones the right size to NEST inside another. That allows a good stash that only occupies a small amount of space. The remainder are used as you suggested,filled with leaves,paper or other material on ,Huglekultur piles or shredded for compost. I make "corrals" from tee posts and poulter wire for holding Fall leaves and shredded cardboard waiting to be mixed with other compostables. I'm thankful most boxes are held with tape rather than staples now days. I was always nervous about the shredder making missiles from staples.

/ What to do with all these boxes? #9  
Probably not an option but I remove all the plastic and put them in the pen for the cattle to break down. Some things I have learned. There is good tape and crap tape. If you can pull the whole thing off. That’s really good tape. Love the fiber/paper tape. I don’t remove that. Wish I could shred. Need a better manure spreader but even then when I spread this spring it’s rare to find many pieces. Seed bags that don’t have a plastic liner get torn in half.
image.jpg
image.jpg

/ What to do with all these boxes? #10  
Also $s saved by the local government not putting them in a landfill.