what to do with a pile of asphalt

/ what to do with a pile of asphalt #1  

Cougsfan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO35, Branson 4720CH
When I bought my place there was what appeared to be a pile of dirt at a discrete spot on the property. A few days ago I decided to reclaim and level that area. What it turns out to be is about a dump truck full of asphalt that someone oddly decided to cover with dirt. It has been there for gosh knows how many years and is now rock hard. My FEL won't put a dent in it and I am not anxious to destroy my tractor trying. I have a place to bury it if I could move it. I thought about renting a jack hammer and breaking it up, but at my age, my days of running a jack hammer are over.
Anyone got any good ideas on what I might do?

/ what to do with a pile of asphalt #2  
I think I would just dig a big hole right beside it and let it slide down and in. Top with dirt.

/ what to do with a pile of asphalt #3  
Asphalt won’t jackhammer very good. Even if it would they’re brutal tools to use. If your tractor can’t push it in a hole I’d get a bigger machine that will.

/ what to do with a pile of asphalt #5  
Conversation piece? Lol

/ what to do with a pile of asphalt #6  
I have much the same situation, though worse. Left to me were about 30 truckloads of millings, but I was aware when I bought the property - they were not hidden. I've found that my 30 hp Kubota with back hoe handles the millings fine. Using the teeth of the back hoe bucket, I shave off a few inches at a time, turning the clumps into relatively loose gravel. Then I use the front end loader to scoop and move the millings. You should be able to do a 10 ton truckload in about 3 hours.

/ what to do with a pile of asphalt #7  
Millings aren't the same as a pile of once fresh material dumped and left to become one with itself.

Cougs, is this in a place you need? Can you just leave it? Bury it as suggested? Yard Art?

Is it someplace a contractor could get to if one was willing to reclaim and recycle it?

/ what to do with a pile of asphalt #9  
Rent an excavator, or tracked skid steer for a day. Maybe dig the big hole first if you can, to save time. Then pound away at it on someone else's machine, lol.