What to do w/ 14ac of land?

/ What to do w/ 14ac of land? #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
I own a separate fourteen acre property near where I live. From the 50's to the 70's the property was a small dairy farm, and it was a horse farm/stable prior to my purchase. It has an old small house in solid shape, and a large barn in very bad shape - not usable. I'd guess there is about 10 acres of usable (including areas that are a bit hilly) land. All I do is mow this land. What can I do with it long-term? I don't think I'm interested in any live stock (goat, sheet, pigs, chickens, horses, etc.) due to the time and effort it takes to care for them. And I don't want renters, or to deal with others using the land, etc. I was thinking something like, tree farm (what kinds?), or some other crop (what kinds?). I've never been a farmer, and I'm semi-retired (@50) and have some time to enter a small "hobby farming life" now so I'd like to do the work/play myself, and just have uses for the land rather than mowing.
Many thanks,

/ What to do w/ 14ac of land? #2  
Maybe your state government has a program to re-forest land like yours...

/ What to do w/ 14ac of land? #3  
What a problem to have, I wish I had land I didn't know what to do with. The Forest service sounds like a good option. I once helped a farmer friend of mine plant just over 3,000 trees in about two days. I once heard that if you have the equipment, and the land, there is some organization (maybe it's the government, or the National Arbor Day Foundation) that will donate 3000 trees, if you'll plant them.

p.s. If I had land like that, and $ to build a new barn, I would start a small dairy farm. But that's just me. :)

/ What to do w/ 14ac of land? #4  
Instead of just mowing it, consider making hay.

Lets you still "mow" it so it looks good, but with the added benefit of making the process productive. You might even make a buck or 2, but I wouldn't count on it putting you into full retirement.

I like the look of hay rolls scattered across a freshly mowed field.

Now if it was me, I'd rent out the house. And prob tear down the barn if it's dangerous.

/ What to do w/ 14ac of land? #6  
Look into CREP land, you cost share per acre and plant trees/shrubs. then its rented from you for 15 years for so much an acre. I am in my second year of crep, really impressed with the regrowth i am seeing.

/ What to do w/ 14ac of land? #7  
The strawberries and blueberries would go nicely on top of the crepes...

/ What to do w/ 14ac of land? #8  
Or you could lease your fields to a neighboring farmer to farm.

/ What to do w/ 14ac of land? #9  
Or you could lease your fields to a neighboring farmer to farm.

Note that he said, "And I don't want renters, or to deal with others using the land, etc."