What to clean really gummy chain with?

/ What to clean really gummy chain with? #1  

Johnkn

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota LX3310
I had a few trees taken down recently on my property one of which was a Malberry probably 20" in diameter. They left the stump too high and I took a foot off it last weekend. It was the gummiest, sapiest thing I have ever seen and left my chain covered in that crap. What's the best way to clean it? I'm thinking to soak it in kerosene. Anything better perhaps turpentine? I'm sure it's going to need to be soaked in something. Thanks

/ What to clean really gummy chain with? #2  
I had a few trees taken down recently on my property one of which was a Malberry probably 20" in diameter. They left the stump too high and I took a foot off it last weekend. It was the gummiest, sapiest thing I have ever seen and left my chain covered in that crap. What's the best way to clean it? I'm thinking to soak it in kerosene. Anything better? I'm sure it's going to need to be soaked in something. Thanks

Two things come to mind maybe three: Try the simplest first. WD-40. You are likely to have that just laying around. Then try Goof-Off. Made to remove gummy stickers, and general goo. Also you can try Bug and Tar remover (automotive stores). It contains xylene. I bet one or more of those will work for you.

Goof Off 16 oz. Professional Strength Remover-FG654 - The Home Depot

/ What to clean really gummy chain with? #3  
Hook it to your ATV and drag it around in the dirt for a while.

/ What to clean really gummy chain with? #4  
My first thought was WD 40 also because it's handy...mineral spirits is always good to have around a shop (relatively safer than many solvents)...
Funny but I don't think any of the already mentioned substances (never tried xylene though) will remove the purple stain from the actual mulberry's...!

/ What to clean really gummy chain with? #5  
I'd try diesel first (cheapest), then mineral spirits (not the new-fangled odorless stuff). If that doesn't get it off you may need a different type of solvent like denatured alcohol. Throw the chain into a small tub or bucket with the solvent and let is soak for a day.

/ What to clean really gummy chain with? #6  
Diesel or closely related kerosine.

Then, when its fairly clean, toss in Momma's Whirlpool, set on HEAVY cycle, double rinse.

Fabric softener a nice option.

4570: Can't believe your frivolous reply.:laughing:

Last edited:
   / What to clean really gummy chain with?
Hook it to your ATV and drag it around in the dirt for a while.

Nah, that's how I sharpen it. LOL

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

/ What to clean really gummy chain with? #8  
Do they still have those nice 'country' gun shows in Laplata?

Still blue crabs at Capt'n Billy's?

/ What to clean really gummy chain with?
We used to have gun shows at the Armory in Laplata, I'm 3 miles from there, there's a huge new Armory being built. Capt. Billy's went down hill when the owner Billy Robertson died ~10 years ago. Much better IMHO is Capt John's in Cobb Island or Capt Leonard's in St. Mary's county.

/ What to clean really gummy chain with? #10  
4570: Can't believe your frivolous reply.
If my reply was frivolous, than what the heck was yours? What I suggested would actually work without destroying any equipment.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

hopper bottom (A32908)
hopper bottom (A32908)
Toyota 8FGCU30 5550lb Forklift (A33719)
Toyota 8FGCU30...
DELTA MFG CO. STOCK TRAILER (A32908)
DELTA MFG CO...
John Deere 6150M (A33526)
John Deere 6150M...
2008 Ford F150 XL (A33526)
2008 Ford F150 XL...
2 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
2 Yard steel end...