What to charge insurance company?

/ What to charge insurance company? #1  

Birdhunter1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
I had a major flood in my basement last week when the sewer backed up 18" in my basement. Insurance is covering damages and clean up costs but I did most of the work myself. Aside from my time I don't have much in damages, I was in the process of finishing my basement and had two walls done with wall paneling (the stuff that soaks up water on contact) and it warped to no end. Also had a couch down there. TV was above water and all major appliances (washer/dryer, furnace, freezer) were OK after I cleaned and dried them out but the adjuster told me to keep track of my labor and figure that in. But she never said how much to charge for my time (which could have been better spent quail hunting and I did miss one guided hunt). Anyway she did say figure enough in labor to cover your deductable plus.

Now what is fair here? I mean I didn't miss work (I took off two days vacation but I was paid) but during the day (I work midnights) I usually go quail hunting and guide hunts. Like I said I missed at least one that I know of and two days that so far this year would have been the best quail hunting weather days we've had. I want to be fair but I don't know what to say. I also had my dad and a cousin help me some too and of course when I replace the paneling that was damaged I will have more time and dad may help again.
I'd like to say I'm worth $100 an hour but they woudl probably argue that. So what sounds fair- $15/hour across the board? $20? $25?

Granted I will loose out on more time I could spend in the field running dogs or playing with stuff that goes boom or burns deisel fuel!

On the plus side with my basement still awaiting clean up and disenfecting from the clean up company I was able to process my deer last weekend in the basement and didn't have to worrry about the mess too aweful much, and I didn't freeze to death outside doing it!

/ What to charge insurance company? #2  
When we re-did our home-owners insurance a couple months back, we added a rider that covers sewer back-ups. (Not covered under the basic policy) It stated that any work to be done with the expectations of payment from the insurer was to be done by outside contractors (on a short list provided by the insurance company)

/ What to charge insurance company? #3  
Charge almost what a professional clean-up company would charge. Make a few phone calls and find out. I personally would not bill anything less than $50 per hour.

/ What to charge insurance company? #4  
Have to agree with Mad. You should also use the money to set aside and protect yourself from unseen damage which may come later. Ofter water damage comes out much later after clean up mold, etc...

/ What to charge insurance company? #5  
I would agree with a minimum of $50hr. As long as the insurance company doesnt require a bussiness license or permits to do the work you did, you should be fine with getting closer to your $100hr idea. Remember, you had your father help you too. You shouldnt have had to burn your vacation either, dont count that as payment, that is missed work. As long as you arent telling them you did things that you didnt, like repair a finnished basement, you are entitled to compensation. Keep it realistic and fair, call arround and see what someone else would get.

/ What to charge insurance company? #6  
I wouldn't get too excited about making any money here. This is from the National Flood Insurance Program Dwelling Policy: "The value of work, at the Federal minimum wage, that you or a member of your household perform." and "If you or member of your household perform the removal work, the value of your work will be based on the Federal minimum wage."
Perhaps your insurance company will be generous. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ What to charge insurance company? #7  
Call a local cleaning company franchise (ServPro or ServiceMaster, or the like) and ask them what their hourly rate is for black water cleanup and removal. It will be very high as it is considered hazardous waste and they suit up in the full protective gear when they deal with it. Ask for around 2/3 that rate and make sure you ask to be reimbursed not only for your time, but your family's as well. It's a good negotiating point to jump off from. You will not get what a professional cleaner gets, because they have overhead, equipment, taxes and benefits to pay, and they are entitled to profit. Strictly speaking, an insured is not allowed to profit from a loss. Also consider that you might have spent more hours doing the job than a pro would have, because they have the equipment and supplies as well as the benefit of efficiency from doing the job every day. I would consider asking for a different rate for the cleanup than for the general carpentry work, as the going rate for those two different jobs are different.

/ What to charge insurance company? #8  
This has all been good advice, but maybe in addition it would be good to get in touch with the adjuster and ask her those questions, and maybe check with your agent, too, to try to minimize big fights in the end.

/ What to charge insurance company?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Have to agree with Mad. You should also use the money to set aside and protect yourself from unseen damage which may come later. Ofter water damage comes out much later after clean up mold, etc... )</font>

There was a company that caem in and cleaned and such and took care of any mold issues before they set in. The only thing down there that got wet and stayed in the house was all 2x4 or 2x6 stuff and concrete so I really doubt any mold will set in. The water was only there a few hours and then got pumped out and then fans and a big dehumidifier were running for a few days.

/ What to charge insurance company? #10  
I had a similar situation awhile back.

My insurance company would only reinburse for services from licensed contractors - servicemaster, etc.

I did most of the cleanup myself in a timely manner only to find out latter that I would not get paid for anything I did myself. I thought I saved the insurance co. much $$ by doing the work myself, and I was right because they would not reimburse for my expenses, and my time had no value.

In hindsight, I would call the best contractor, and let them do all the work, and have them bill the insurance co.

Yooper Dave