What the heck are these?

/ What the heck are these? #42  
It looks like Cherp wheels have more foam and a groove for your spine.

/ What the heck are these? #43  
Yep, ours have the groove and a sticker inside identifying them as the real deal. Plus, the box they came in was labeled as some kind of flour to discourage porch pirates. Company has a good sense of humor.
There are a lot of cheap knock offs, and I think yours is one of those.
They work well for what they are intended to do.
Patrick

/ What the heck are these? #44  
you can go to amazon and purchase mystery boxes of items that were returned as undeliverable. They are guaranteed to be of at least equal or greater value as what you pay. It's kinda like gambling or playing the claw machine.
I have far too much random junk here to want any more. Both parents were 'collectors' of things they couldn't afford when young, so in retirement Mom hit the thrift stores and bought every doodad she had craved for half a century. Dad and stepmom worse, weekend yard sales were their social life. Anything good quality and priced under 3 cents on the original dollar value, they bought and stockpiled here at the ranch. I've been getting rid of stuff for 20 years now, who needs seven of anything.

Even they wouldn't buy random Amazon returns, knowing that Amazon stocks far too broad a variety of stuff they wouldn't need.

I have a little of Dad's instinct. I experimented recently buying known Amazon discounted returns, flux core welding wire. I posted about it in the HF thread. Summary:

* Used - Like New was flawless product, still shrinkwrap sealed, in the shabby retail box. Looked to me this was just 'shopworn' from Amazon's shelf bin, skipped over, never picked or sold. Excellent. Well worth the discounted price.

* Used - Very Good - "Repackaged, not in original container". This should be fine on hard goods like hinges etc where immaculate appearance isn't important. (No experience with this).

* Used - Acceptable - wasn't really as good as the original retail product. Obviously a partly used customer return. There wasn't the full quantity of welding wire on the spool, the wire wasn't secured so it had unravelled into a rat's nest, the plastic spool had numerous big chunks broken off, and not included, so this wasn't shipping damage en route to me. Surprisingly that rats nest fed through the welder fine after I discarded the first 6 ft. If the quantity of wire had been the original 100% I would have considered it 'Acceptable' but I won't buy that discount grade again. It seems to be 'customer returned it as unsatisfactory'. No thanks.

Buying random Amazon undeliverable items or the larger pallet lots may make good sense for the professional Ebayer who can turn the contents, probably at a profit. But a homeowner?

Last edited: