What small tiller, mantis or ?

/ What small tiller, mantis or ? #21  
This morning, before sunup, it was a little cooler outside; only 75 degrees. And since I hadn't used the Mantis tiller in awhile, I went out to see if it would start; no problem. I let it run several minutes while I did other things, so it was well warmed up when I used the throttle; worked just fine.

I know I've posted on TBN long ago that I had a 2 hp Johnson outboard motor with a one quart fuel tank (2 stroke, of course) in 1971 and the fuel tank was full when I learned that I was being sent to Northwestern University for the 71-72 school year. By the time I got back and used that little outboard again, that fuel had been in the tank for more than a year. But it started and ran just fine. However, when it ran out and I dumped a quart of fresh fuel in the tank, you could plainly hear that it picked a couple of hundred RPMs over the old fuel.:laughing: So maybe the same would/will happen with the Mantis tiller.

/ What small tiller, mantis or ? #22  
Last year I was not able to do a big garden using the tractor. My past experience with an our old 4 cycle gas tillers were that I worked on the tiller to get it running longer than it took to use them. Last time I tried to use it, I discovered my stepson had burned the clutch out of it when I let him borrow it, so I gave it away and began using the tractor.

This year I decided to do a small garden near the house. This year I got a Earthwise TC70010 electric tiller and for the size, I have been quite pleased with it. I watched a lot of videos online first. Of course you need to be near a place to plug an extension cord in, but no more gas or oil to mess with or gum up the works over time. They are not nearly as expensive as their gas counterparts either. I tilled three small garden spots with it this year; maybe 50 sq. ft. each and it had plenty of power to cut though our hard NC red clay.

earthwise 10 amp tiller.jpg

/ What small tiller, mantis or ? #23  
I have the 2 stroke Mantis and the 4 stroke Honda mini... I like the Honda motor better and I like the Mantis tines better...

Both pretty much sit unused, as I'm a BIG believer in mulch!

Here's what my July corn looks like,

standard.jpg

SR

I believe the Mantis pointy tines with the honda engine might be the best. But I might make me some different handlebars.

/ What small tiller, mantis or ? #24  
Dollarwise, buying a good running tiller for $30 on a sale might be a better deal than buying a new one.

/ What small tiller, mantis or ? #25  
Dollarwise, buying a good running tiller for $30 on a sale might be a better deal than buying a new one.
When it comes to mini tillers, Only IF it's designed right...

Not all mini tillers work the same, the lower the motor is, the better they work when the soil is tougher to till.

SR

Last edited:
   / What small tiller, mantis or ? #26  
Love my Honda FG110. There are alternate tines available for it.

I either run it out of gas or empty gas. If I empty gas, I make sure it is run out of carb.

My other tiller is the biggest Honda.

I got both used when a local orange home improvement store sold their rental equipment. Both were in immaculate condition.

Last edited:
   / What small tiller, mantis or ? #27  
I've got nutsedge really bad.

If you spread agricultural lime Nutsedge will diminish year by year.

A soil test will tell you how much to apply, or you can just spread "some" each Spring or Fall, until Nutsedge diminishes.

There are specialized Nutsedge herbicides, Ortho (brand) and Image but in my experience require several applications. Just as easy to dig the buggers out as to mix and spray.

/ What small tiller, mantis or ? #28  
Old thread of course,but will toss my :2cents:
... I’ve owned a Mantis, worked on the Echo brand equivalent for a family friend, and own the quick attach (weed eater head) Tiller.
My vote goes to a quick attach. A little on the heavy side, but makes one tool multifunctional. Plus my Troy built engine is 4 stroke, and starts first pull the last 6 years, no trouble.

The old Mantis tillers have given me a fair amount of blisters on my right hand, from pulling the pull cord hundreds of times.

My Mantis would work fine, but fought me every year a couple times (beginning of season and mid way through), and needed a carb cleaning, then adjusting, even after running the fuel out (before winter).
The Echo I worked on is built by Mantis (or vice versa) and had the same issues. Once they are cleaned up and running, they are stout. Most troublesome 2 strokes I’ve seen.

/ What small tiller, mantis or ? #29  
I have the 2 stroke Mantis. No complaints. Nowadays, I'd probably try and go 4 stroke. That probably wouldn't be as much fun running across the lawn behind it though.

That made me laugh. I'm not the only one!

/ What small tiller, mantis or ? #30  
My wife is bugging the s??t out of me for a mini tiller like the mantis. There is so much bad feedback about all the mini brand tillers that I do not know what to do. I've never had much problems out of 2stroke motors and I leave gas in them year round. I have read many problems from people that have 2stroke and 4stroke tillers? Mantis, Honda, Earthquake? What else? What is a good dependable mini tiller?
Echo makes a nice little tiller and has an easy start recoil. Pull the rope as slow as you want and it rolls the motor over a few times. It's 2-stroke and Japanese engineering. Toyota of the hand-held world.