What size tiller would be best for a tea 20 In clay soil

/ What size tiller would be best for a tea 20 In clay soil #1  

Boganism

Tractor
None
So, after the advice when looking at tillers being buy more expensive, and not wanting to drop 2000$ on a used lawn ornament or 4500$ on a new hasquvarna that's 8hp. So I decided to say screw it and look at an older tea20 or David brown, I'm still switching between the two. However what would be needed to add a tiller to it? And what would be the size required with heavy clay ? I'm trying to get the smallest possible

/ What size tiller would be best for a tea 20 In clay soil #2  
What tractor do you have?? Where are you located?? Remember with land engagement implements - weight is your friend. If you want small - get a good 'ol garden shovel and have at it.

When I was young that's how we cultivated our garden each spring. One shovel full at a time.

/ What size tiller would be best for a tea 20 In clay soil #3  
What tractor do you have?? Where are you located?? Remember with land engagement implements - weight is your friend. If you want small - get a good 'ol garden shovel and have at it.

When I was young that's how we cultivated our garden each spring. One shovel full at a time.
OP is referring to a Ferguson TE 20 IIANM
Similar to the Fords of the same time since most of the plans were "Fords"

Should be good for a small plow.

Not so sure about a tiller since the ground speed in 1st is probably to high but...
If it has a Sherman transmission it should work fine.

ps. Agree with you Boganism an 8HP lawn tractor is not in the same class as a 2700+ lb tractor

Last edited:
   / What size tiller would be best for a tea 20 In clay soil #4  
Hi Boganism,

With that name, I'm going to guess that you're in Australia. If so, Hayes Equipment sell a rotary hoe 1m wide which requires 15-35 HP. Gumtree has a steady supply as well but getting a small one will be harder.

Either way, that's a reasonable indicator of the power required. One cheat to consider is removing some tines for a narrower cut to reduce the horsepower. But consider the implement must be offset enough to hoe behind one tyre, or the tractor drives over the hoed ground when doing the next row.

Also consider that, at least in Oz, a Tea20 will hold its value, the "garden equipment" will not.

/ What size tiller would be best for a tea 20 In clay soil #5  
For the size of the tiller you would want it
at least as wide as the back wheels are or
just a little bit wider

willy

/ What size tiller would be best for a tea 20 In clay soil #6  
For the size of the tiller you would want it
at least as wide as the back wheels are or
just a little bit wider

willy
Hi Williy,
Correct my thinking if I'm wrong here, but to till an area and leave no wheel tracks on the tilled ground, you only need it to cover all of one tyre track. Am I missing something?
With limited HP, narrow is essential. This means offset from the midline of the tractor can be used to achieve both narrow and tilling entire area. Some tillers/ hoes (Australian term) are offset by design, and a PTO shaft designed to work at an angle can get you more offset, but they're expensive in Australia.

/ What size tiller would be best for a tea 20 In clay soil #7  
All three of my Howards can be offset to either side to cover a tire track...

SR