Snow What size snow pusher for a John Deere 4120?

/ What size snow pusher for a John Deere 4120? #1  

chevy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE HST, John Deere X739
I am looking to get a snow pusher for a John Deere 4120.
Trying to decide between 6 foot & 8 foot.
I have never used one, so I need some help.

These are pictures of the areas I plow most.

/ What size snow pusher for a John Deere 4120? #2  
My two cents- Snow pushers are IMO for large areas-big parking lots where you can move snow into big piles for eventual loading to go offsite. I also think they came on scene to make large wheel loaders or even loader-backhoes more versatile just by chaining a "pusher" to the bucketand adding a couple of feet of blade width.

Looks to me like a power angle blade is what you need most for your 4120 given number of buildings/turns/obstructions you have to work around. The other thing with a pusher is if you don't keep up with the snow, and it has any moisture content, you need big power.

As always this opinion and two bucks will get you a medium at Dunkindonuts

/ What size snow pusher for a John Deere 4120? #3  
I took this shot of the pusher that my JD dealer uses for his lot. Its on a 4x20 series, and it looks to be about 10' wide.

photo_zpsfb75913d.jpg

/ What size snow pusher for a John Deere 4120? #4  
I have not tried a 4x20 for snow work, and realize they are heavier than a 3x20. At lot will depend on how much snow fall you get at any one time and how wet and if you plan to use chains. Power angle blades are good as long as the snow is not too deep or wet. At some point loss of traction to push and loss of steering can become a problem. I tried a 84" material handling bucket on the 3320, which in many ways would be similar to a straight pusher. It was OK for lighter snow, but again heavier / wetter becomes a problem. Current setup consists of bucket on the front and blower on the rear. I have lots of room to blow the snow. the bucket works well for light snow, back pulling, piling and general clean up. Aside from having to turn backwards, the blower, with hydraulic chute works quite well.

Depending on $$$ you are prepared to spend, a FEL mounted power angle blade, combined with rear blower might be a great option - obviously with option of bucket if / when needed.

I have not seen any snow pushers like the pic in post #3 around here and suspect in the long run you might be disappointed. The local store puts out between 50 - 60 series 6xxx or 7xxx units on snow fleet rental. They all have Horst pushers with the hydraulic ends. Have not seen a single fixed pusher.

/ What size snow pusher for a John Deere 4120? #5  
<<<Current setup consists of bucket on the front and blower on the rear.>>>

If you would add a cab to this setup, that would be what I used for many years at a place we used for snowmobiling in northern Mi. That area gets a lot of snow, averaging about 150" a season, and the snow could be about anything imaginable, from dripping wet heavy to super light lake effect snow. The worst snows were those that started with about 8-10" of heavy stuff, followed immediately by another foot of lake effect that fell after the front moved though!

Anyway, with a lot of snow and a blade, piles quickly build and become unmanageable. The blower will generally blow the snow WAY off the surface you're working with, and the loader can be used in areas where the blower isn't practical?

Given a limited budget, I would go for the bucket. That's me though, FWIW.