Mowing what size rotary cutter for l3800?

/ what size rotary cutter for l3800? #1  

bigboyga

Tractor
Kubota L4600
Want to upgrade my b7800 with 5' r/c. I will use this on wild cherry trees and chinaberrys which can be really tough. Also have 7 acre pasture. Will i be ok with a 6'? I really want a 6'. One dealer said 6 is fine another said i would be better with a 5'. I really think an l4600 is overkill for me. Thats what the one dealer recommended if i wanted a 6'.

/ what size rotary cutter for l3800? #2  
A good rule of thumb is that it takes 5 hp per foot of width. It will take 30 hp to run a 6 foot cutter so you are good to go with the bigger one.

/ what size rotary cutter for l3800? #3  
Check the manufacturers' specifications of the rotary cutters you are interested in. Some manufacturers have light, medium, and/or heavy duty cutters in the same width with varying minimum tractor HP requirements. For example, Woods has 6' cutters with minimum HP requirements ranging from 20 to 50 -- Rotary Cutters

Steve

Last edited:
   / what size rotary cutter for l3800? #4  
The problem you run into with the larger cutter is weight.

Given you said you will be mowing some tough conditions, That puts me thinking you want a heavyduty cutter. And heavy-duty 6' cutters weigh ~1000-1100lbs and if you put one of those on your tractor, you will need front weight. Either suitcase weights OR a front loader that stays ON when you bushhog.

But powerwise, you will be fine. But you really wont save much if any time going to a 6' cutter. If you stay with a 5' cutter which is smaller yes, but you will be able to go faster without bogging down.

In dense and tough stuff where HP limits your speed, larger cutters wont be faster. The only way a larger cutter would be faster on your machine is in light conditions, where the terrain (bumps), limits the ground speed.

I have a L3400 (same tractor just older and 4hp less). I have both a 5' med-duty and a 6' heavy duty. The 5' cutter is just as fast, and is more manuverable because it is smaller, and I can take the loader off and run it.

/ what size rotary cutter for l3800? #5  
I use both 5 and 6 foot cuters with my L3800. Pulls the 6 foot just fine, but the 5 footer is more maneuverable around trees and stuff...

/ what size rotary cutter for l3800? #6  
Is yours a heavier 6 footer?? or can you take your loader off?

/ what size rotary cutter for l3800?
i would have a fel and always leave it on. so the weight issue shouldnt be bad.

/ what size rotary cutter for l3800? #8  
If I remember correctly, the owners manual has a chart for cutter size. I was looking at a L3800 OM and discovered that my 6ft Bush Hog Squeeler was about 10 lbs over the recomended weight. I don't think 10lbs over is a big deal, and Kubota approved using a 6 footer, but that is Max.
That being said, if I didn't own a cutter, I would buy a five footer, or a light six footer. Bush hog brand tends to be heavier than some others.
Maybe a member with a manual can look up the max recomended cutter spec. for you. I no longer have a Op. manual for that machine.

Bill

/ what size rotary cutter for l3800? #9  
I've got an L3400, like LD1. I agree with what he's said, too. The 5 footer is a good match for the tractor, and the L3800 is the same as the L3400 size wise. It'll give the tractor lots of load cutting dense meadow grass, I usually mow in either 4 low or 1 high (gear model)

My Land Pride RCR1860 weighs about 700 lbs, I wouldn't want any more than that hanging back there. Without the loader on the front end is noticeably light, which makes for nice light steering, but any more weight on the back would be bad news. It's nice to be able to mow without the loader, you have better visibility and a lot tighter turning circle.

Sean

/ what size rotary cutter for l3800? #10  
i say i 5 footer i have a 6 foot heavy duty cutter on my 7040 kubota its not bad on there i want a 12' batwing i could have gone 7' or 8' but the wieght diffirents and the wear n tear on the tractor