What size root grapple for my 2850?

/ What size root grapple for my 2850? #11  
Some things to consider......Hello John,

I have been enjoying your posts after researching claw vs root grapple, especially since I just purchased a L3901 HST so your posts are even more significant as we both will have the same tractor (not delivered yet). My B2910 just suffered a mortal blow when the transmission casing cracked and dropped my backhoe. Anyway it served me well and after 2400 hours I am moving on. I saw your last post about the grapple, ie 95% happy with claw and wonder if you have any further thoughts. The saleman suggested the SGC1060 which is a bigger than the SGC06 you have. I will be using it to move both brush and logs and hay bales (wife raises and breeds miniature horses). No real rocks to deal with (wish I had some). Thanks for any response and for all of the posts you do. I'm not sure how this works re replies so here is my email address:

I believe I'd go with the root grapple instead of the claw grapple if I had it to do over. The claw grabs "stuff" and squeezes it to pick it up which is fine for big rocks, brush and a bale of hay. If you want to pick up "stuff" around the home like a couch or something you don't want squeezed the claw is out. The flat bottomed root will let you come under items and pick them up and then slightly close the top claw to hold them on while you move them. Consider picking up a pile of good construction wood, the claw is probably going to damage some of it squeezing the pile together to clamp it tight enough to hold it where the flat bottomed root would let you lay the wood on the bottom and then close the top to keep it from falling off.
I've also been unable to pick up basketball and bigger size rocks and I have many because they fall through the tines. I can pick up bigger ones but not small or medium size unless two tines come together at exactly the specific point and then the rock will move will moving a fall thru. Everything attachments advertises to have an additional piece that will make closer together tines and they have a decent looking root grapple for less than the similar model Landpride that I bought.
Basically the claw like mine is like the toy claws in the vending machines where you open it and drop it down and close it on items or push an item and then close the top clamp and squeeze the item tight, real tight with hydraulic force and lift and go.
:2cents:

/ What size root grapple for my 2850? #12  
WOW - JohnThomas - - wish I could give you some of my real rocks. I use the "top jaw" on my grapple to backdrag & smooth the land and "rake" my surface rocks into piles.

/ What size root grapple for my 2850? #13  
WOW - JohnThomas - - wish I could give you some of my real rocks. I use the "top jaw" on my grapple to backdrag & smooth the land and "rake" my surface rocks into piles.

I have lots of rocks my L3901 won't pick up and hundreds of the smaller ones. :) I have to push some and can only push them down hill due to weight and size.

/ What size root grapple for my 2850? #14  
Really like the wicked grapple. Some grapples have lower tips parallel to the ground (like the green one) and some have the tips curled up (like the wicked). Is there any really advantage/disadvantage to either design?

/ What size root grapple for my 2850? #15  
Really like the wicked grapple. Some grapples have lower tips parallel to the ground (like the green one) and some have the tips curled up (like the wicked). Is there any really advantage/disadvantage to either design?

I believe I'd go with the root grapple instead of the claw grapple if I had it to do over. The claw grabs "stuff" and squeezes it to pick it up which is fine for big rocks, brush and a bale of hay. If you want to pick up "stuff" around the home like a couch or something you don't want squeezed the claw is out. The flat bottomed root will let you come under items and pick them up and then slightly close the top claw to hold them on while you move them. Consider picking up a pile of good construction wood, the claw is probably going to damage some of it squeezing the pile together to clamp it tight enough to hold it where the flat bottomed root would let you lay the wood on the bottom and then close the top to keep it from falling off.
I've also been unable to pick up basketball and bigger size rocks and I have many because they fall through the tines. I can pick up bigger ones but not small or medium size unless two tines come together at exactly the specific point and then the rock will move will moving a fall thru. Everything Attachments advertises to have an additional piece that will make closer together tines and they have a decent looking root grapple for less than the similar model Landpride that I bought.
Basically the claw like mine is like the toy claws in the vending machines where you open it and drop it down and close it on items or push an item and then close the top clamp and squeeze the item tight, real tight with hydraulic force and lift and go.

/ What size root grapple for my 2850? #16  

JohnThomas agree with your points with grapple vs claw. Didn't even notice the Wicked was a claw(guess working 3rd shift doesn't help) I was trying comparing grapples designs. See pics

Attachments

• Root Grapple2.jpg
    Root Grapple2.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Root Grapple.jpg
    Root Grapple.jpg
    828.2 KB · Views: 50
   / What size root grapple for my 2850? #17  
JohnThomas agree with your points with grapple vs claw. Didn't even notice the Wicked was a claw(guess working 3rd shift doesn't help) I was trying comparing grapples designs. See pics

I might be going with the 60 MTL grapple like the picture you posted.
It is a lot heavier than the EA wicked. But it痴 really reasonably priced

/ What size root grapple for my 2850? #18  
The black one is from skidsteerattachmentdepot the 60" is $1095 and weighs 550lbs If your buying it for your B2650 let me know how it works for you. My L3400 FEL has about the same capacity. I'm not sure how 500lbs will work, only leaves about 350Lbs of load. Anyone know if when they give FEL lifting specs if they include the bucket weight. I think my bucket is around 90lbs, but I can't find anything specific