What size front snow blade for MX5800?

/ What size front snow blade for MX5800? #1  

oldafretired

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901, MX5800, U55
Got a WR Long 72" front blade now (the lighter one for compact tractors) that I used on my L3901 but it seems a bit small for the MX. WR Long makes a 84" and a 96" front blade for compact tractors. They make a heavier duty one but I think the lighter one would be better for my gravel driveway. Which one would be better, the 7' or 8' blade? I'm kind of leaning toward the 7' blade which will just cover the rear tracks at full angle since the 8' blade might cause the front end to get pushed sideways too easily with the blade at an angle.

I've ordered a rubber edge for the 6' blade to see how well it works on gravel. It's a 10" high edge and the retaining holes will be 2" from the top so there will be a lot of overhang on the bottom. I'm thinking that the rubber edge will fold backwards under the snow blade and dig in a lot less. If it works as planned, I'll get a rubber edge for the bigger snow blade.

/ What size front snow blade for MX5800? #2  
If you will be plowing a curved drive, the wider blade is better. Since it hangs out front so far, when you plow slight bends or curves your rear track can be outside your plow width. I have a 7 1/2' Big Ox on my DX55, and I think the rear tire width is 66" ish. I wouldn't want a narrower blade. Mine is 30" tall and weighs 500 lbs, but I rarely have it push me around. I carry a ballast on the rear all winter too. I found if I have the heaviest snow, and it tries to push me, I raise the blade slightly to just above the ground, which hangs all the plow weight on the front axle and eliminates any side push.

/ What size front snow blade for MX5800?
If you will be plowing a curved drive, the wider blade is better. Since it hangs out front so far, when you plow slight bends or curves your rear track can be outside your plow width. I have a 7 1/2' Big Ox on my DX55, and I think the rear tire width is 66" ish. I wouldn't want a narrower blade. Mine is 30" tall and weighs 500 lbs, but I rarely have it push me around. I carry a ballast on the rear all winter too. I found if I have the heaviest snow, and it tries to push me, I raise the blade slightly to just above the ground, which hangs all the plow weight on the front axle and eliminates any side push.

Thanks for the good tips. I might end up with the 8 footer.

/ What size front snow blade for MX5800? #4  
I looked up the WR Long blades. I see they make 3 models... FBM, FBH, and FBXH. I don't think you want anything lighter than the FBH.

/ What size front snow blade for MX5800? #5  
8', I push a 8' snow box with my tractor and it is lighter than you. CJ

/ What size front snow blade for MX5800? #6  
Do you plan to use chains on your MX? We have an 8 foot plow on our MX5100, I love the width (especially on a curve or tight bend), but I run chains on the front (usually all 4) to keep the front from getting pushed sideways in deep snow. If I didn't use chains I think I might be happier with a 7 foot lightweight plow. Plowing on gravel is just tough, there's no perfect solution. Early and late season I set the plow shoes at their longest, but the edge still digs into the dirt if I'm not perfect with the blade tilt.

I'll be plowing this afternoon, maybe I can get some photos showing the coverage with an 8 foot blade at full angle.

/ What size front snow blade for MX5800? #7  
8' all day long

/ What size front snow blade for MX5800?
Do you plan to use chains on your MX? We have an 8 foot plow on our MX5100, I love the width (especially on a curve or tight bend), but I run chains on the front (usually all 4) to keep the front from getting pushed sideways in deep snow. If I didn't use chains I think I might be happier with a 7 foot lightweight plow. Plowing on gravel is just tough, there's no perfect solution. Early and late season I set the plow shoes at their longest, but the edge still digs into the dirt if I'm not perfect with the blade tilt.

I'll be plowing this afternoon, maybe I can get some photos showing the coverage with an 8 foot blade at full angle.

I have 2 link ladder chains on the rear R4 tires. I know the tractor can handle a lightweight 8' blade but I'm concerned about getting pushed sideways with the blade at full angle. When I was testing my new rubber edge on my 6' blade at full angle, there was no problem except when making a sharp turn. I think I will go out today and see the effect of taking off the 630lb weight box I have on the back. I have a set of cable chains for the front and might see what effect they have. The rubber edge sure seems to work great on the gravel though.

This 6' blade is for my L3901 and the MX sure needs a bigger blade. :)

Thanks!

/ What size front snow blade for MX5800? #9  
I take back what I said about maybe being able to use a 7 ft blade. That wouldn't work for me at all. Here is a photo going around a bend to the left. The edge of our driveway roughly follows the drift. You can see the front wheel is turned at the angle needed to make the bend, and it is outside the plow even with the 8ft plow. I forgot how noticeable that is on the sharp bends.

unnamed.jpg

/ What size front snow blade for MX5800? #10  
I have a 8ft.er on my L4240(FEL mounted) with loaded R1's and no chains.I think it is the perfect size for your tractor.I have plowed up to 3ft. of snow with it.