Box Scraper What size box blade?

/ What size box blade? #1  

dirt ditch

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sometime this spring will get a box blade for my 27hp (24 pto) 790 John Deere. Right now am looking at a 5, 5 1/2, or 6 foot BB. Would like to know what size box blades other TBN members have and how well you like them. Does a person want one that just covers the tire tracks, or a little wider to cut outside the tires? I already have a 6 foot rear blade.

/ What size box blade? #2  
Mine is 5' which just covers the tracks. When the rippers are all the way down and the box is slightly tilted forward with the rear up a couple inches, it will dig in enough to slow or stop the tractor. I would not go wider. Since you already have a blade for smoothing and distributing dirt, I assume you want the box blade for the ripping capability.

Suitcase weights are great for adding extra weight as needed. Use it without them if you don't need the weight and add them for extra weight as needed. They are great when used on one side to help dig a ditch on one side.

Get a medium or heavy duty model with 2 blades in the back. Weight is good for strength. Economy models aren't strong enough. Expect to pay $450+ for something decent.

/ What size box blade? #3  
I run 6' KK box blade and it is six inches wider on both sides than my rear tires. This makes it very handy for getting close to objects or bank sides when I do my roads. I have a 29hp Kubota and it will tear up earth and rock with all six scarfers fully extended. I use a 5' KK rock rake to finish grade. Road maintenance with just the rock rake works most of the time unless the soil is rutted real bad and hard as a rock. I then drag out the box blade and loosen things up.

/ What size box blade? #4  
A lot depends upon what you're going to use it for. Loose sand and gravel are a lot easier to move than soil and clay. Whether or not your tractor has draft control is another consideration. I have a six footer that is quite capable of bogging down my 45hp four wheel drive tractor when I forget to set the draft control. I'm thinking if I had only 27 horses, I wouldn't consider anything larger than sixty inches.

..greg..

/ What size box blade? #5  
I agree with greg as to task and material to be moved. In my heavy, clay based, rocky and rooted soil a 60" box blade seems to work. I might add that it is somewhat more manuverable than a 6' in the woods. If I was just doing driveway and gravel work I would probably have gone with a 72". Jay

/ What size box blade? #6  
The flip side would be not to fill the larger boxblade 100% or rip too deeply.
You also don't have to use ALL the rippers when digging. You could use 1, 2 or 3 for that matter. The added weight of a larger box helps. As long as you don't bog down your tractor with it, it should be a lot better for smoothing since you've got more surface area being smoothed on each pass. I find a larger boxblade very handy since it completely covers my tracks and sticks out on each side for those reasons.

/ What size box blade? #7  
The 790 is a very light machine. Getting a large box will stop it dead, especially with it full of dirt or when scarifying.

Stick with 5', unless your soil is very light and loose with no rocks or roots.

jb

/ What size box blade? #8  
I agree, I have a TC-30 with loaded R4's and a 5' BB. I would not consider a larger BB then a 5' as I can stop the tractor dead in it's tracks.

/ What size box blade? #9  
I use a 5 foot box behind my similiarly powered Orange Crush and It seems to be the ideal size for me and my tractor's needs. I wouldn't recommend anythng larger. While my recommendation is only an opinion and should be taken as such, one thing most people would suggest is, get a quality made unit built by a well known manufacturer.

/ What size box blade? #10  
I'm going with a 6ft Woods for my L3400. I think it is on the larger end of what my rig can handle. I decided to go with this size over 5ft or 5.5 ft which would have probably been the perfect fit for a few reasons:

- Primary use is going to be gravel work on the drive. I'll use it probably one or two times a year. If I have to rip a couple of times to ensure the tractor does not bog, it won't be an issue wrt. time.

- Having a 60" rotary cutter which exactly covers my width has taught me that I'd rather have something at least a little wider for tight areas.

- I will more than likely move up to a bigger tractor sometime in the next 5 or so years. I'd rather not have to switch my implements.

- I'd rather pay a bit more for the 6 than have to put some weight on.

You've got a few less horses than me. I would probably go with a 5.5ft on your rig just to extend out a bit. That said, take my opinion with a grain of salt as I haven't used one yet.